Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #44141 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I'd start with betta, cories will drop like flies in an immature tank.
That's right. They do best in an established tank.

I suppose my 1st (maybe) month i'll be filling it with substrate, plants and decor.
Once finished with that I'll add in some schoolers. Has anyone had any experience with Tiger Barbs and bettas? Aq Advisor says I can trade that upside down catfish for atleast 6 tiger barbs.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #44142 
Sakura8

Dawn isn't always right. If the people on MFK say it's okay and they're saying it's okay because they have successfully kept them together, then go with MFK.

Jenn, what have you tried so far? Indian Almond leaf or naturally dried clean oak leaves help. AQ salt at 1 tsp per gallon help. That's about all you can do for ammonia poisoning.

Cories and any other bottom dwellers aren't good for cycling tanks. They don't move enough. Really active hardy fish like danios are great.

EDIT:
Fishy, no tiger barbs. They are horrible fin nippers.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #44143 
BubbiBubba

When I first purchased my Amano shrimp she pooped a simple brown little pellet... now she poops out this weird, clear stringy poo, but she seems perfectly happy. What gives???
BubbiBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #44144 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I wouldn't do barbs unless you're getting over 10 of them. That should be enough to keep them somewhat nice, with no promises.

Upside down catfish, they are technically schooling fish, at least 2-3 would work a lot better than one of them.

What about red phantom tetra, bleeding heart tetra? Burmese loach, yoyo loach for the bottom of the tank?
If you get an appropriate filter, you have A LOT of room in there, you know.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #44145 
Sakura8

Bubbi, is it possible . . . your amano has parasites? Can they get parasites? o.O I honestly have no idea how to even treat shrimp. I just know they're very sensitive to copper and most medications have copper in them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #44146 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post

Cories and any other bottom dwellers aren't good for cycling tanks. They don't move enough. Really active hardy fish like danios are great.

EDIT:
Fishy, no tiger barbs. They are horrible fin nippers.
/cry
But Danios look too plain for my tastes :P

I suppose Gouramis won't do well either. Mollies?

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 08-06-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #44147 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks Sakura! I had been doing th AQ salt, but when I went downstairs to check on both him & Auggie, he had passed away. He was in really poor condition to begin with & I wasn't expecting much. At least he died in a clean, warm environment where he was loved.

Off to make more cards tonight! Later everyone!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #44148 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Dawn isn't always right. If the people on MFK say it's okay and they're saying it's okay because they have successfully kept them together, then go with MFK.
Thank you.. Yes I got kind of upset at Dawn saying that, so I signed up for MFK just to use their search feature. I told her I'm not getting ropes anymore but I will. I can't imagine she'll ever look in the photos section of TFK and see that I did. I hope she doesn't because she really knows how to scold. I asked if vegetables are safe for bichir, because I read people feed them veggies, though it didn't sound right to me, and she ranted at me as if I'd been feeding bichir a vegetarian diet or something. It was an honest question. She also told me they'll never eat anything but live food, while MFK has bichir keepers saying they've never had a bichir that couldn't be trained onto pellets, even wild caught ones. Whereas I'm planning on a frozen diet most likely. I don't know, not asking her about them again, that's for sure..
Anyways, she didn't really answer my question that I asked. I wanted to know if my diet was nutritionally balanced. I asked her if I should include a fish vitamin and gave her some links and she said nothing on the subject.. Ugh, sorry ranting in a public place.
From what I can tell though looking through MFK the diet I'm planning is fine, so that's good.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #44149 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I wouldn't do barbs unless you're getting over 10 of them. That should be enough to keep them somewhat nice, with no promises.

Upside down catfish, they are technically schooling fish, at least 2-3 would work a lot better than one of them.

What about red phantom tetra, bleeding heart tetra? Burmese loach, yoyo loach for the bottom of the tank?
If you get an appropriate filter, you have A LOT of room in there, you know.
I've got a marineland penguin in the 75 gallon. That one's media will be converted to sponges.
I thought loaches were bottom dwellers?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #44150 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They are bottom dwellers. Wasn't suggesting them to cycle your tank, just thought maybe you'd like the look of them for a final plan. :p

Tags
0_o, banana !!, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese