Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #1 
Jully

Exclamation Help? Need answers ASAP

Hi I am new to this site and I am here to look for some help.

Today my friend bought a 5g fish tank, it had a light and a fliter but no heater. I helped her set it up and she put in the blue gravel, plants and then added the filter in. She also put in the conditioner and waste control anad something called cycle I don't know the brand though. She picked up her betta which was in a cup and dumped it in the tank or at least poured it in when she was trying to scoop it with a container I think she may of pushed it or it dragged it's fins to the rocks then she poured it in the tank and then the betta was dashing into the fake spiked plants she thought it was him being curious since he was in a 1 gallon tank before then I noticed he was stressed out I think, after 5 minutes - 10 minutes he was staying in the top and behind the filter I knew something wasnt right so I grabbed her small net she used when she she had a turtle as a baby and scooped her fish up and put him back in his 1 gallon now he is staying at the top of his 1 gallon and she is worried sick. What can I do to help her and the fish? And she would like to know how to safely introduce the new fish to the tank without being shocked or dying, it's odd since she bought both the fish and the tank and supplies today and then the fish like got stressed and went crazy why is this? Should we clean out the tank and start over and wait 3 days before adding the fish again and will the betta make it?

Sorry because I am new not sure if this belongs here
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 
lvandert

... you NEED to acclimate the fish before just plopping them in...

In the future get a bag and put the fish in the bag. Roll the top of the bag over on its self and let it float in the tank for a good hour (temperatures need to adjust). After that gently dunk the bag letting A LITTLE old water out and new water in. Do this every 45 minutes until you've done it 6-8 times (depending on your size of bag). After that tip the bag on its side and let our fish swim out on his own power.

Now your friend really does need a heater and I hope she knows how to do water changes so they wont cause future issues
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #3 
vP H O T O Nv

From the sounds of it. The fish was put into shock from a change in temp. I don't know how to help here just leave it be for a while. Now make sure the 5 gal is at least one degree in range of the 1 gal bowl. so if you keep the tank at 78* make it 77*or 79* it won't shock the fish.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

for starters.the tank needs to be cycled.since she has stuff called,im assuming its to start a cycle,which will most likely take atleast 24 hours.but before starting the cycle she should have cleaned off the gravel by putting it like in a bucket.swishing it around until the water came out clear.

there should be no sharp objects in there.bettas fins will get caught in it and tear up.and it can hurt the fish.it should be fake plants made for bettas or silk or live plants.

the tank also needs a heater.and should be set at about 78 degrees.

the fish went into shock.it could be due to water temperates being diffrent.they are very sensitive.the bet way to introduce any fish to a new tank is to let it sit in the bag it came in inside the tank for atleast 15 minutes.as for bettas because they come in cups.if ur not able to float the cup up at the top for atleast 30 minutes.then gradually add 25% of tank water to the aquarium to adjust the temp and water parameters..

its going to act like that when first put into a tank.it will look around and hide becaue its not sure what to do with all that space etc..

second when putting it in the tank.tilt the cup a little so that water starts going in it slowly.then gradually tilt the cup more gently having the betta go into the water until u can pull the cup out slowly.

hope i didnt sound rude or anything ;)

remove any sharp pointed objects.some of the stuff u can use like a finger nail file and file the rough stuff down smooth.make sure all decor,gravel,filter,etc is rinsed with water.

when adding the water conditioner its best to let it sit in the water itself for 15 minutes or as directed on the container.

also try having the room somewhat dark with minimum distractions if he freak out.it will help lower stress and calm him down.as well as adding about 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #5 
Rigio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jully View Post
She also put in the conditioner and waste control anad something called cycle I don't know the brand though.
Hello, The brand is Nutrafin cycle - It's used to assist in cycling your fish tank and adds BB (beneficial bacteria) to the fish tank.
Rigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #6 
Jully

She bought Neon Tetras and another gold fish for her other tank, she added the gold fish to her other tank and they were just fine. The group of 6 Neon tetras died I believe from shock and because she left the bag to long shut.

She isn't so great at fish keeping so I had to grab her tank and then take out all the gravel rinse it put it in a container and then swish it around for 3 - 5 seconds then I added it in another container then filled the tank with it, I added her & fixed her fake plants so they actually stay up now. I also had to take her filter and then fix it and play around with it so I know the bubbles that comes up start working [Hopefully it doesn't push the Betta round.]

You guys do not sound rude, I myself am pretty shocked those poor tetras I put the African dwarf frog in a bag and carried it home with me [Water bag] I put him in a 60 gallon tank with proper conditions I didn't want to see the frog die and the betta. She left the light on the tank.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #7 
Jully

When you mean by that, so allow the bag to float in the water with it shut [the bag closed] then after 15 minutes open it then let a bit new water from the tank come in and then repeat each 45 minutes? Or am I wrong about this. She had the light on as well when she was introducing the fish into the tank I also think that caused the fish shock.

I took home the betta along with the dwarf frog [the tetras didn't make it] and I asked my brother if he could take care of it since I had to leave to go to work and he allowed them to float and he was able to introduce them to are tank now the betta. He left them in a dark room because the betta was stressed out and was staying at the top of the tank... Now he's swimming every where and being happy blowing some bubbles and the frog is doing well, I hope they will be fine with me for 3 days or longer since we are giving time for the tank for her to cycle. [My brother knows how to fish keep and has had fish ever since he was 8 same with turtles.]

I live next to her, she does know how to clean her fish tank it's just I don't think she'll do it well, I can sometimes go over to her house if she needs help with it. I have aquarium salt with me as well..

I would like to mention, how do you cycle a 5 gallon tank that is what she wanted me to ask is it any different, how long will it take to cycle..etc?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #8 
MSG

I leave my bag o fish floating in the tank for over an hour, because I usually forget.

Cycling usually take about 3-5 weeks.

What type of filter does she have?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #9 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jully View Post
When you mean by that, so allow the bag to float in the water with it shut [the bag closed] then after 15 minutes open it then let a bit new water from the tank come in and then repeat each 45 minutes? Or am I wrong about this. She had the light on as well when she was introducing the fish into the tank I also think that caused the fish shock.

I would like to mention, how do you cycle a 5 gallon tank that is what she wanted me to ask is it any different, how long will it take to cycle..etc?
For floating if you roll to top of the bag over it's self it creates a little air pocket so when you float it it stays open and afloat. You might have to roll the bag over a few times depending how much water is in there.

Cycling is very simple but time consuming. You let the filter run in your tank, thats it. But in order for a tank to become well established with beneficial bacteria you'll need to let it run for a long time. Generally people do this without fish in their tanks (due to the rise and fall of different chemicals) but you can cycle with a fish in the tank. Even if you try not to cycle it the filter will do it its self.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #10 
Jully

Okay I told her to let the filter run for a few days, her water is a little bit cloudy, but not super clear again she got the tank yesterday. It's not so cloudy but clear if you know what I mean kinda like "blurry." I cleaned her tank for the second time and then I added all the water conditioner it gave me [was in a little package] So I am guessing that's the amount to put in, then I got the filter to bubble now I am letting it run.

Could I open the bag next time and put her fish in a zip lock bag so it can float and I can zip it open for air and stuff?

Tags
fish dying?