Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #11 
TheCrabbyTabby

Never EVER buy a dog. NEVER. Why would you? Only cold heartless and selfish people buy dogs. There are millions of homeless dogs out there looking for a person to adopt them and don't get saved in time and wind up being put down. Same with breeding. DON'T EVER BREED. There are are just too many dogs dieing to justify it.

Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die. Opt to adopt.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

I want those breeds when I adopt but I WILL get a dog from a shelter. Why would you assume that? I'm not a heartless person. I'm a 11 year old even I know that! >:( My grandparents' 1st dog died of an uncurable illness! :'( That's the last thing I want to hear! And last year, they had their prized Shih Tzu and it DIED my getting hit by a car on accident on it's stomach!! They got these dogs from a breeder. They don't have shelters there. Stop assuming! I hate it when people do that...

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 08-06-2012 at 11:28 PM.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Never EVER buy a dog. NEVER. Why would you? Only cold heartless and selfish people buy dogs. There are millions of homeless dogs out there looking for a person to adopt them and don't get saved in time and wind up being put down. Same with breeding. DON'T EVER BREED. There are are just too many dogs dieing to justify it.

I was out walking our newest rescue, a lab/pit mix yesterday, and a couple stopped and asked to buy one of the puppies if I bred him...I was told them, "Not gonna happen, he gets fixed in a couple weeks". I told them to go look at all the sad puppies I saw at the shelter on Friday when we adopted him.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #14 
whimsicalbrainpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I saw a sleeping female pug puppy. She was epically adorable. Reading her card I saw "APA registered" and immediately thought "this is not a reputable place." Reading all the other puppys' cards i saw APA, ARC registered claims. I looked at my best friend and quietly said "this is a puppy mill".
I don't understand why anyone would buy a dog when there are so many out there that need to be adopted. Kudos to you for recognizing the place for what it was and not giving them your money.
whimsicalbrainpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #15 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post

Hold on there. There are times when breeding IS acceptable. If you are breeding to IMPROVE the breed, and can prove the amount of hours you've put into studying your dogs' genetics, then please do it.
Because of backyard breeding over 90% of dogs have allergies. Compare that to 2 years ago where it was 70%. Still high, but it still jumped because of backyard breeders. My pug has allergies with topical flea solutions. Knowing what I now know about flea topicals I honestly am not surprised she show a reaction to it.

There has only been 1 dog in my lifetime that I purchased from a breeder. And that is because that breeder showed me all the studys he did in his breed's genetics. He 1st worked on removing allergies from his pack. Once his packs started producing allergy free pups he then moved onto a trait that has plagued dobermans for years. Stamina. After 5 years he finally got the perfect female with stamina to die for. Out of her 1st litter only 1 pup got her stamina trait. My doberman. He then went on to breed and pass this gene on. Out of his 3 litters 2 pups in each litter got the trait.

I only purchased from this breeder because he proved his knowledge, research and results. And he is worth 10x his weight in gold. Breeders like him a few and far between. My pug isn't from a breeder(that I know of). I found her running the streets chasing cars. Called rescues, vets, shelters, plastered signs everywhere, even posted her on craigslist, no body called to claim her. 1 guy actually called to steal her :P

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 08-07-2012 at 12:17 AM.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

^ +1.
I'm still OUTRAGED by that quoted reply, though. I HATE it when people assume. That reply was offensive and no reason to be put up. I KNOW there are dogs being put down everyday. I was just stating that if I do get a dog, I would like those breeds I listed but if they aren't there in the shelter, I'll see who's in the list about putting down. I am NOT heartless or selfish. You just assumed that I would buy from a breeder and that's your mistake.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #17 
TheCrabbyTabby

This is the second time someone jumped to conclusions and thought I was attacking them when I clearly wasn't. Lebron, I didn't even see your post. How could I attack you if I didn't even read what you wrote. Please don't think I was attacking you at all, because I wasn't. I am sick and tired of people assuming that I am out to get them.

*sigh*

I try to be nice, I try to inform people the best way I know how and it all blows up in my face. >_<
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #18 
LebronTheBetta

Oh... Sorry... :( I kinda overreact when I feel offended. I thought you were talking about my post. I am deeply sorry for the misunderstanding. :( Well, I guess I'll just feel guilty in my mind now. Yay. X'D
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #19 
FishyFishy89

For those who are unfamiliar with "fake" and unreputable dog registries

http://locusthillpugs.net/Buyer%20Beware.htm
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #20 
animalcraker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
A COMPLETELY hairless dog is very rare and very expensive. And to have another like that, you've got to be running a puppy mill. To have SO MANY different breeds of puppys, you MUST be a puppy mill.
Actually hairless dogs aren't really that rare if you know where to look for them, they're just not very common. Chinese Crested, Xoloitzcuintle, and Peruvian Inca Orchid are all breeds known for hairless varieties. People always stop me whenever I'm out walking my Afghan Hound and tell me how they never see them anymore. There's acutally a good number of Afghan's out there; just most pet owners don't keep them in full flowing show coat so people don't recognize them and most show dogs aren't walked out on the street since their owners typically have large yards/acres to exercise them at home.

Also the petsores typically aren't the ones who breed the dogs they sell. Petstores are really just pet brokers with and fancy facade and they order whatever dog they want from the puppymill itself. I usually end up getting kicked out of those petstores whenever I end up wandering into them. Apparently they don't like people asking questions about the dogs they're selling and having their staff look like idiots because they haven't got a clue. I once saw someone trying to finance their dog from a petstore; seriously people if you can't afford the insane price for your pet store dog and need to make payments then you should probably reconsider buying a dog in the first place.

BTW FishyFishy your pug is adorable!
animalcraker is offline   Reply With Quote