Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #11 
Joelouisvachon

He's already recognizing when feeding time is and swims up to the top of the tank eagerly for food!
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #12 
Rerram

I have only had mine for a few days, but he seems to love the pellets. Eats them up and quickly too. I gave him some bloodworms but he didn't even seem interested. After some coaxing he finally ate one, spit it right back out. Then I got him to grab another, but spit it right back out. I thought he might just not be hungry so I removed the worm and put a couple pellets in there and he ate them right up. Is this just because he doesn't like the worms? It is my first betta and I don't want to upset him nor malnourish him. What should I do?
Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

The pellets are actually better for him than the worms. It's the difference between you eating a well-balanced meal or just having a fistful of candy for dinner. If he only wants pellets, then I would be more than happy to oblige that desire.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #14 
Myates

I wish it was easy to feed mine :( They all have their own preferences and likes/dislikes, and amount they can eat without becoming bloated...

I feed small multiple meals throughout the day and I mix it up often..
My main food is homemade (shrimp, garlic, spinach mash), live food when I can get it, and then I round it all off with pellets (Omega One) every couple of days to give them any nutrition I may have missed. I don't use freeze dried as I rather not replace a healthy meal for one that is just empty calories.. and I don't use frozen as a lot of the times the freezing process removes a lot of nutrition as well.
But I have to cater to the ones that will only eat pellets, or won't touch live foods, etc which can be tricky and why I can't go on vacation and leave feeding up to other people.. I'd come home to some very po'd fish!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #15 
Joelouisvachon

I only have one betta and two goldfish, so I don't have to cater to many different eating habits, although my betta only eats if he is fed one pellet at a time, otherwise he ignores all but one pellet of the food and I have to take the wasted food out. I'm getting a new betta this week and when I go to the pet store I will get some food other than pellets to give variety, such as bloodworms.
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

I feed Teeney twice a day- omega one in the morning & new life spectrum at night. She gets frozen bloodworms as a treat once a week and I fast her every Sunday.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #17 
Rerram

Ok. Thank you for your help. I feel much better now.
Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote