Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #1 
Seki

Thumbs up Free Ten Gallon! What Should I Do?

I seriously love my brother SO MUCH right now. When he moved out, he left his ten gallon glass aquarium, filter, heater, etc. sitting in the garage, empty. I was just talking to him and I mentioned the aquarium, and wonder of wonders, he said if I wanted to set it up, he wouldn't want it back until he bought a house (which isn't going to happen for several years, at least... at which point I'm sure I'll be able to buy my own ten gallon and whatnot to re-home whatever fish I have in his at that point).

SO FREAKING EXCITED!!

I have about a billion ideas going through my head right now about what I might want to do with it, but I want suggestions! I'd like to put more than one fish in there, so I guess no male bettas, but maybe a sorority? Or I could do other tropical fish, like cichlids or guppies or... or... anything! Should I do a planted tank? Make suggestions for me, please! I'll consider anything and everything you guys can come up with!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

NO CICHLIDS!!! That's too small for them. I have an idea...
DWARF PUFFERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :3 You could have 2-3 in there but they're aggressive. DX You jut need it planted and stuff. They're freshwater so no marine salt. Your brother is so nice! Lucky...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #3 
Seki

Ohhh, too small for cichlids? My bad lol I've never had anything but goldfish and bettas before. I'm really excited to set up a nice aquarium, though!

Dwarf Pufferfish? I've never heard of them, I'ma go google them! Could I mix and match or would it need to be only dwarf puffers? :)
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I think that's the only species you can keep in there, they ARE aggressive so... But, they do eat snails and such. Well, that means you don't have to worry about hitchhiker snails and outbreaks. :P
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #5 
lvandert

Here. this chart should help who can go with who :)

edit: ug! this thing is so picky! sorry I'll put one on thats bigger
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 
lvandert

http://www.funfishtank.com/wp-conten...rt-for-you.jpg
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 
Seki

Haha I looked up a little info on them, Lebronthebetta, they are kinda cool! I might think about them, but right now I'm looking for tons of ideas and options! :) Thanks for the suggestion!

lvandert, thank you for that chart, that's awesome! It's a wee bit hard to see lol -digs for her glasses-

EDIT: Thanks for the link! :D
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Killifish! Honestly they are hardy, colourful, can be kept in groups, easy to spawn and are very friendly once they get to know you. Plus there are so many different species available.

Here is one of my australe gold female. The male is stunning and having had these as one of my first species they are as easy as pie to take care of.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

green spot dwarf puffers need brackish/marine as adults, and can only eat live black worms
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #10 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Killifish! Honestly they are hardy, colourful, can be kept in groups, easy to spawn and are very friendly once they get to know you. Plus there are so many different species available.

Here is one of my australe gold female. The male is stunning and having had these as one of my first species they are as easy as pie to take care of.
omg how CUTE! I love it, she is absolutely adorable! I might have to think about incorporating a few of those. How much space do they need, and do they play well with other fish?

Also, I think the tank might be bigger than 10 gallons. I went and measured it and it measures 24" long by 17" high by 12" wide. I was looking up dimensions of tanks for sale at Petsmart and it's looking like it might be... 20 gallons?