Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 
JBosley

15 Gallon Tank Mates?

Hey Guys!
I have finally decided what I am doing with my 3 Male Betta Fish Currently Dragonfly, and Firefly are in a 15 gallon divided tank, and Maize is in a 1.5-2 gallon Critter Keeper. I HATE having a divided tank and Maize's is just too small! My original plan was to get 3 new, 5 gallon tanks, plant them and then move everyone into them once they are cycled.

New plan! Get 2, 5 gallon tanks and keep the 15 gallon undivided for one of the males. I am thinking of giving Dragonfly the 15 gallon because he is a tail biter, and am hoping with enough space and having it heavily planted he will be happier!

For substrate I am using aquarium gravel. For the plants I am thinking of these (if I can find them all):
Cambomba
Hornwort
Java Fern
Anubias
Süsswassertang
Moneywort

What other fish, or shrimp, or anything can I add with Dragonfly in the 15 gallon?
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Depends on Dragonfly. I raised Spartan with fish so he learned to tolerate. Maine couldn't be with anyone. Jekyll didn't care if there was something else in the tank or not. Sasuke killed everything.

If you go with shrimp, add java fern and moss to the bottom. It'll give them cover They'll live longer as they are seen as food to bettas Because he tail bites it may not be good to introduce the stress of other fish. Snails and shrimp are fine.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 
kfryman

You could pick one schooling fish and just do one massive school of them. Like maybe cherry barbs with 10 of them or like 11-13 neons.

If he doesn't accept the fish you could reintroduce him or try one of your other males.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #4 
TipBetta

I got about 8 tetras in my 10 gallon, and they are just fine. Some of them have been known to fin nip, but mine don't at least. You can put a snail or a frog in their... Just make sure you put the betta in last.
TipBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 
JBosley

Thanks guys!
Dragonfly is very docile, I've only EVER seen him flare once. He is a very mellow guy. Thats why I think he would do alright with tank mates I will definitely try some shrimp first, see how he is with that. I wouldn't mind some cory catfish, would they be okay with a few shrimp and a Betta?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I'd say so...three minimal. pygmy cories are good too! 15 I believe IMO is the absolute minimum for some cories.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 
JBosley

Thanks guys! Hopefully Dragonfly is good with his tank mates, when I get them haha

If not I have 2 other boys I can test with tank mates. I am sure one is bound to get along!

Unfortunately planted tanks are going to have to wait a bit more... money is always a killer But eventually! One at a time, they will be done
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Well, even having the moss and fern for the shrimp (which float along until they catch onto something they'll root to) is great :p Low cost, low care, and hardy.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #9 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipBetta View Post
I got about 8 tetras in my 10 gallon, and they are just fine. Some of them have been known to fin nip, but mine don't at least. You can put a snail or a frog in their... Just make sure you put the betta in last.
The reason why your neons are fine and most on here have nippy neons are because you have them in a nice small school, others keep them at the bare minimum so they can have so many fish. I find them on the same level as people who keep bettas in "cups". Why would any want to live at the bare minimum to live?

What is your substrate? Cories shouldn't be kept on gravel as it is natural for them to dig for food and play in it. It is also more fun to watch them in gravel. Gravel as well can damage their barbels causing infection.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #10 
JBosley

I have large gravel as substrate! So no Cories for me

I think I am going to go with a Betta fish (no idea who, or a new one haha) and a group of schooling fish! And maybe a snail or something