Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Fishie is picking on my snail!

I bought a mystery snail tonight and plopped it in Fishie's tank. It was slowly coming out of its shell, and within about 15 minutes, Fishie discovered there was another living thing in his tank and he attacked it. The snail retreated into its shell and rolled on top so that its opening was concealed. But then a few minutes later it started coming out of its shell again and Fishie nipped at it again until it retreated back into its shell. It hasn't come out again since, but Fishie keeps swimming up to it and flaring. Should I remove the snail or does Fishie just have to get used to the fact that snail is there?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I bought a mystery snail tonight and plopped it in Fishie's tank. It was slowly coming out of its shell, and within about 15 minutes, Fishie discovered there was another living thing in his tank and he attacked it. The snail retreated into its shell and rolled on top so that its opening was concealed. But then a few minutes later it started coming out of its shell again and Fishie nipped at it again until it retreated back into its shell. It hasn't come out again since, but Fishie keeps swimming up to it and flaring. Should I remove the snail or does Fishie just have to get used to the fact that snail is there?
Definitely remove, I've heard bettas are particularly fond of eating snails. I know some people keep them together but the snails are more likely to survive if they have good hiding spots in a planted tank and areas where the fish can't get to. If your fish knows where the snail is at all times and seems interested in munching on it, he's on borrowed time.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Okay, I'll put the snail in Fishie's old 1 gallon tank for now by himself. I bought some new live plants tonight- moneywort and dwarf hair grass. They're in quarantine but when I plant them in Fishie's tank, I'll try putting the snail back in and see if there are enough hiding places.
I was debating on whether or not to try a ghost shrimp in Fishie's tank. Now that I see that he wanted to eat the snail in the first 20 minutes, I think that would be kind of disastrous. lol
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 
babystarz

Haha yeah, he sounds like an equal opportunity snacker XD My new female even chews on plants :P I think with the plants added your snail will be able to hide better, I would love to get some myself once my planted tank is ready!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

My fish doesn't seem to like getting introduced to new critters either haha. I bought an African Dwarf Frog today and Junior tried a couple of curious nips at him but now they're getting along (aka ignoring eachother haha). The frog has discovered the safe hiding spots throughout the tank! I'm gonna get him a little log or something, too, so he can hide and be completely safe from Junior whenever he needs to be.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

So, I just read that Mystery Snails are supposed to grow to be about the size of a golf ball. But right now my snail is less than an inch... When he gets fully grown will it be less likely that Fishie will try to eat him again?

Tags
aggression, betta, mystery snail