Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 
kristyloveskoalas

Exclamation Betta seems sick but i only got him two weeks ago. :(

About 2 weeks ago I went with my little sister to the pet store to pick out a fish. She picked out a blue betta male and him Mimi. She loves him so much, but I have noticed some things that are wrong. He used to be a beautiful blue, and now he is turning white around the face, and brown on the tips of his fins and stomach. He is also very sluggish and lies on his side a lot. He doesn't eat his food. I only got him 2 weeks ago! Please help, he means so much to my little sister, here is some more info:

He lives in a 1 gallon, plastic bowl. There is colored gravel, a fake plant, and a thermomator. The average temperature in his bowl is about 70-75 degrees. He has no heater or filter. I feed him two pellets of Top Fin - Color Enhancing Betta food a day. They usually sink to the bottom of his tank because he does not eat them. He doesn't poop either. Like I said, he is becoming strangely discolored. This fasting and very low energy might be because it's two cold, but I'm not sure, and I don't know how to raise the temp. without a heater. My little sister and I change Mimi's water about every 4-5 days. I don't what is happening! Please respond I need to save Mimi's life or my sister will be devastated. I'll be pretty sad too. Thank you so much for reading this, it means a lot to me. I really hope you respond because I don't think Mimi has much time left.
kristyloveskoalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 
MadameDesu

First of all, he needs to have a heater. Bettas prefer temperatures of 78-80*, so I'd look for a heater ASAP.
I would also start doing more frequent water changes, about 50% of the water every other day.
Are you using a water conditioner?
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #3 
MadameDesu

Also, clean out the food at the bottom of the tank as this can poison the water.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 
kristyloveskoalas

thanks for replying! is it safe to put a heater in a 1 gal tank? the pet store said it might overheat it because the tank is too small, but i have no idea.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristyloveskoalas View Post
thanks for replying! is it safe to put a heater in a 1 gal tank? the pet store said it might overheat it because the tank is too small, but i have no idea.
Mini heaters are ok for a 1 gallon tank, if the pet store didn't have one small enough, Amazon has several that will work for a 1 gallon tank.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #6 
MadameDesu

You can't go wrong with adjustable heaters, either.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #7 
kristyloveskoalas

i give mimi a mimi heater and aq. salt and he is so much better!! yay!! i gave him bloodworms and he actually ate for the first time!