Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

She's not wild. I've seen feral cats brought into work and they are just.. Ugh... Try posting ads that you found her, some cats are lost for months before they are reunited with families.
-sorry thread jacking worried about the cat-
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #12 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
-sorry thread jacking worried about the cat-
don't worry, sounds like she's doing great!
Check with close neighbors, if she's lost she couldn't have wandered from too far away.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #13 
lillyandquigly

She's a tiny kitten, we figure someone just abandoned a litter. Yes, where I live trust me, wild cats can easily be nice, I know one who is wild, but he will let you pet him occasionally.
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #14 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandquigly View Post
She's a tiny kitten, we figure someone just abandoned a litter. Yes, where I live trust me, wild cats can easily be nice, I know one who is wild, but he will let you pet him occasionally.
Then they aren't wild, they are simply strays. Wild (feral) cats will never let you touch them and they can hurt you if you try. Wild (feral) kittens are little spitfires but if you get them young enough they are easily tamed.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #15 
Laki

As for medicine for the sick bettas..
Keep a nice healthy supply of aquarium salt (for external problems like missing scales, mild fin rot etc), plain epsom salt (for internal problems like bloat, constipation and helping to poop out debris like parasites), tetracycline I think it's called is a heavier aid for advanced body problems like bad fin and body rot, fuzzies and worse scales problems. There's another product sold nest to tetracycline and I forget what it's called, it does the same thing. And most importantly in my eyes, get your hands on IAL! Indian ALmond Leaves have never failed to perk up a fish. They can be left in tanks to holistically prevent illness and they can be crushed up with aq salt to bring back fish from death row (in some cases, I still lost Lakitu). PLastic cling wrap should also help to create an artificial humidifier for some fish.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #16 
Marvel170

I have a couple of questions about the epsom salt, first would I find it in a petstore? and second if it's not in a petstore can I get it from some place else like the dollar store? would it be the same thing?

I plan on start rescuing fish once I get my own place and also get more experienced with caring for the fish when they are sick :)
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #17 
registereduser

how about IAL extracts?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #18 
fleetfish

Epsoms salts can be found in bulk/dollar stores and it's not expensive stuff. Make sure to read the label to ensure that they aren't scented with perfumes or some other chemical, and that's pretty much all you need to know about it except dosage ... I think it's a teaspoon/gallon but please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

I like to use 1g containers for hospital tanks - easier cleaning and meds dosage. Also, if you can get sterilite or rubbermaid containers they are indespensible and relatively cheap compared to full tank setups.

Blackwater extract has almost the same tannin level as IAL and to me, if you can't get IAL or oak it's the next best thing! I personally love it because it helps calm a stressed out betta and helps to heal fins. It's good stuff to have and I use it on healthy bettas too. I haven't tried oak leaves yet, but I have several bags of dried oak waiting to be erm ... tea'd.

Last edited by fleetfish; 08-08-2012 at 09:21 AM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #19 
Marvel170

Awesome! Thank you Fleetfish I did see a big carton of epsom salt in the dollar store when I was there a couple of days ago but I didn't know if it was safe for fish or not. It didn't look like it had any scents or chemicals added(had read over the box a couple of time while looking at it)
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #20 
lillyandquigly

Exactly she is just young(lol right now she is chasing her tail). Anyways back to subject
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote