Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 
goldfishyman

Backyard safari Lighted habitat.

Found some of these at target on clearance. I think it was like 6 bucks. Tore it open and removed inside structures. Used some extra acrylic I had around the house and cut and shaped it to the bottom and then uses plastic silicon sealer. I have a nice new betta tank on the cheap.

Here is a link to what it originally looked like.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Summit-Backyard-Outfitters-Lighted-Habitat/dp/B003IPD786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344393376&sr=8-1&keywords=backyard+safari+lighted+habitat]Summit Backyard Safari Outfitters Land & Water Lighted Habitat : Toys & Games : Amazon.com[/ame]

A lot more durable than those critter keepers you pay 20 bucks for. I'll get pics with the fish in it my battery died after I took that first pic.
Attached Images

goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #2 
goldfishyman

A pic of it with fish inside. BTW it has a two sided reversible background that slides into these plastic tracks that hold the pic. Right now there is a picture of a swamp. I think these can be stacked because there is a small hole that you can open to put food through if the main hatch is covered.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 
ngrubich

That's a pretty neat idea. About how many gallons do you have in there?
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #4 
goldfishyman

Not sure but I estimate its about 1.5 to 2 gallons.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #5 
MSG

The only thing I don't understand about this thing is how would you clean it once you seal it with silicone?

I see the hole you drop food in, but I don't understand how you would clean the thing.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4...999alt0101.jpg

I guess if you can get it for $6 it is a deal. But keeping it clean might be a pain.

A lot of bad reviews.

http://www.xump.com/Images/Products/...bitat-500A.jpg
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... A Kritter Keeper XL is $16. It's 6 gallons so I would actually buy that instead of this... Sorry. D:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #7 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
The only thing I don't understand about this thing is how would you clean it once you seal it with silicone?

I see the hole you drop food in, but I don't understand how you would clean the thing.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4...999alt0101.jpg

I guess if you can get it for $6 it is a deal. But keeping it clean might be a pain.

A lot of bad reviews.

http://www.xump.com/Images/Products/...bitat-500A.jpg

Look at the first pic there is a hatch on the right. On the left is the small hole to drop food. There are also vents cut on the back edge. The reason this thing sucks as it comes is the water is only held in a clear plastic piece. The tank itself is not water tight. In fact the top comes right off the base. The inside decor is just thin plastic junk which has some airbrush work done to it. The only thing even remotely usable from the decoration is the log that is attached to scenery. I considered using the plastic interior but was not sure the paint used or the plastic insert was safe for fish.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #8 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Hm... A Kritter Keeper XL is $16. It's 6 gallons so I would actually buy that instead of this... Sorry. D:
The plastic is pretty tough. Its thick about triple the thickness of most critter keepers. You could drop this and the only thing that might break is the door hatch. I have seen critter keepers crack just from dropping them in the tub.

Remember it also has a light, and reversible background. The light is green but if you know what your doing you can swap in some bright white LED's.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, but they are still sturdy KKs in the world. I don't really care about lighting and background. I just do what's best for the fish. Pretty good setup, though. Just not my type. Lol
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #10 
goldfishyman

Well I paid $25 bucks for my other 1.5 gallon tanks with lights and filter. I felt it would be a fun project considering it was only $6 bucks.

I have over 20 bettas. Keeping them each in anything larger would be a nightmare.