Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #31 
MSG

Beware of killifish. They will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. I had the typical golden wonder killie and fed him about 300 flies before he leaped out the tank one day. Pretty pissed about it, because no other fish could eat WHOLE flies like he could.

The clown killies are cool, but they're small & timid, so it made it hard to feed them.

Just make a list of possible candidates to fill the tank with, but do get the tank cleaned and ready to go while you're deciding on what to fill it with.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #32 
Marvel170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I think you can mix cory types and they will school together (Don't hold me on that unless someone else verifies). You could have 5-6 corys schooling the bottom of the tank and then your girls in the rest.
Yes cory types do school and will usually play amoungst themselves at the bottom of the tank :)
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #33 
lvandert

Yay! I would get a few different kinds of corys. One albinio, two normal, and two panda corys. oh my gosh the cuteness of them all playing together.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #34 
MSG

That's something I would definitely do with cories. I would get one of each except the ones that get over 3"

Cories clean the bottom of the tank A LOT faster than snails.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #35 
lvandert

I'm thinking of moving my baby to a different tank so I might have my 20 gal open up soon. Reading this makes me wish he would grow faster lol
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #36 
MSG

Aok keeps her in a 2.5G.

You're keeping a baby betta in a 20G?

I'm glad I didn't get a baby one. The big girls are hard enough to take care of with all their fighting.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #37 
Seki

Yay cories!! I looked up panda cories and they look ADORABLE, I want some so bad! And the albino cories I saw are super cute, too!

So I am starting to formulate my plan here. I am thinking 4-5 sorority girls and maybe 4 cories (2 panda, 2 albino). I am also looking at this African Featherfin Catfish... do you guys think one would fit in with the rest of the tank? Or would it fight too much with cories? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3749&lmdn=Fish

Of course, this is all just fun thinking right now. I probably have at least a couple months before I can get everything set up, cleaned, decorated, and cycled... Cleaning that 20 gallon is gonna be a bear, because it's been sitting in the garage for about 5 years. I don't even want to know what kinds of spiders and such have taken up residence there... -shudders- Not to mention, I have to get all new gravel (I don't trust the open bucket of gravel sitting in the garage... plus, I don't want blue LOL), check and make sure the filter is still capable of working, check on the heater, etc.

Also, any suggestions for live plants I might put in there? I know my brother had live plants before, but he can't remember what he had in there...
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #38 
MSG

I would NOT recommend that one.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles...ish/100062.asp

The albino & pandas would play nicely. The African might eat them & your bettas.

They grow to be 8" or larger.

The thing you want to do now, is set up the tank.

Pandas are very sensitive to new tanks. Will die quick if your tank isn't cycled & they usually sell for $6 each.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #39 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I would NOT recommend that one.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles...ish/100062.asp

The albino & pandas would play nicely. The African might eat them & your bettas.

They grow to be 8" or larger.

The thing you want to do now, is set up the tank.

Pandas are very sensitive to new tanks. Will die quick if your tank isn't cycled & they usually sell for $6 each.
Aww, well I certainly don't want a fish who's going to eat my other fish! I think the cories and the bettas will be great! :)

Yep, step one is definitely to get the tank cleaned up and start the cycle. I figure I'll wait several weeks for the cycle to be fully established? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never done this before. Side note... how long is it alright for a tank to sit and cycle without fish in it? I mean... it's not really a problem for them to be empty, right?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #40 
sarap

Actually you should not mix different cories in a 20g tank They would be happier in a group of 5-6 cories of the same kind (5 should be the minium). If you only keep a couple of each kind they might breed, and you would get hybrids, expecially if the cories are similar to each other. You can keep different kind of cories together, but each group should have at least 5-6, and have a bigger tank.

Atm I have 3 kinds of cories, c. panda also. I think a group of 5 would fit well in your tank. They are very cute:) But you might keep in mind that c.panda likes the temp a bit lower than betta do, but I keep the temp at 25C and that should be fine.

Last edited by sarap; 08-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote