Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #1 
MadameDesu

Sleepy, depressed, or sick?

Hello all!

My betta Rosie has been acting ... weird lately. Not sure how else to put it.
In the morning and at night, I've noticed she hasn't been as active as usual, or just not active in general. She'll sit on her leaf hammock and completely ignore me or move very slowly around the tank. But the rest of the day she'll be her usually spunky self, exploring the tank and doing the food dance.

I noticed a few days ago that she had fin rot or tailbiting (not completely sure which) that was probably induced by a change I had made in her filter media. I decided to use sponge cut to shape in my Whisper3i, but I bought the wrong size and the water for pretty filthy. A week or so later ... messed up fin. It's nothing serious, I think. Just a little raggedness on her caudal.
I've been treating her with AQ salt and stress coat with 100% water changes every other day for about 5 days. My family and I have all noticed she's been healing nicely with clear regrowth between the rays of her fin.

So, I'm not really sure what's going on. To be honest, I think it might be that she's lonely or depressed. I took out most of her tank decorations except for her favorite plant and her leaf hammock. I put in a teacup for her to hide in but she doesn't seem interested in it. She hides under the plant instead.
I'm wondering if maybe she's missing her other decor?
Sometimes I feel like she might be missing me. Her tank is upstairs and I'm usually downstairs most of the day. When I come up to check on her, she'll swim as fast as she can to the front of the tank and move around as if to say "Where were you?!? You've been gone so long, I was worried! Now feed me!" *food dance*

Anyways ... What do you guys think? Can bettas be depressed?
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Betta don't get depressed, like you and me. They also don't get bored as such. Depending on the fish, some like activity around them, some like a more peaceful surround. Bring your fish into a high traffic area and see how he likes it.

They also like a lot of plants and hides and things to discover in their tanks. Try putting all that stuff back in....and more.

I know you didn't ask, but is this your filter?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-In-Tank-Filter-3-Gallon/dp/B000HHQ712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344327974&sr=8-1&keywords=whisper+3i"]Tetra Whisper In-Tank Filter 3I, 1 to 3-Gallon: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies[/ame]

The Tetra Whisper 3i is not an effective filter. The riser tube, which draws the water up, is so long that water only flows over the top portion of the filter. Take the cartridge out, look inside while it's running and you'll see what I mean.

You already have the air-pump. You can find a better sponge filter, cheap.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 
MadameDesu

Thanks for your input! I was going to do a water change today, so I'll try adding some more things for her. I think she may just be an exploring type of fish.

As for the filter, lately I've noticed that the filter has sort of lost its oomph.
I'll keep that in mind though. Was thinking of switching her to a bigger tank and if I did I would cycle it and use a sponge filter.
I know that sponge filters have wonderful biological filtration, buy how well do they remove particulate? I only ask because the sponge I used kind of scared me .... even though I was using it completely wrong I am worried about how well they'd do with mechanical filtration.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 
Myates

If the fin disappeared that quickly I am more inclined to believe it was either fin biting or too fast of a water flow rather then rot. Unless the edges are blackened and flaking off..

With AQ salt you should be doing daily 100% water changes.. I would just stop the AQ salt personally.. are you doing it in the home tank with the filter?

No, they don't understand and comprehend the same feelings we have.. but they do exhibit some emotional behavior. Most bettas do not want to be left alone for any extended period of time. Also they get used to their home and some will react negatively when items are moved around or removed... giving them less in their tank can cause them to feel exposed.

My own experiences with some of mine deal with those issues- I have one where if he doesn't see me or another betta for more then a few hours he will bite his fins really bad. He flares and wants to fight all the bettas he sees, but if I try to separate him he stresses out too much.
Have another that if I change his tank at all- i.e. add substrate, add a new plant, etc he will stress out and refuse to eat.
I've had my bettas a long time and have gotten to know their routines and habits. So I am aware of how they respond to changes... it may not be like ours, but they do respond and they do have preferences.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #5 
MadameDesu

I am using it in the home tank ... Couldn't find a hospital tank.
I'm starting to think it may have been tailbiting ... Why do they bite though? Stress?
I'll change the water today with one last treatment of AQ salt. Even if its Not fin rot, I think the salt is helping it heal, keeping the bacteria, away, etc Unfortunately, I'll be away from home for about 2 days and won't be able to change her water. I hope she'll be ok.
I think she may just be feeling exposed or confused that all her decorations are missing. I'll put them all back in today and see how she does.
Any other ways to help her fin heal faster?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #6 
Myates

Just keep the water clean on a regular change schedule.. some people swear by Stress Coat, and I am sure there are a few other water conditioners that help promote fin growth as well out there. A diet high in protein (live/frozen/homemade food.. even a little freeze dried now and again as that is high in protein, but lacks in other nutrients which is needed on a regular basis) is also good for helping repair damaged fins.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's not clear to me whether your tank is cycled. A sponge filter is best for this, as you already know. A sponge filter with a coarse sponge will filter particulates as well as any other.

Hi Myates,
Glad to see you're still around. I value your experienced advice.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-08-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #8 
MadameDesu

My tank is not cycled. At least not to my knowledge.
But thank you everyone, for your advice! I put Rosie's tank decorations back and she's swimming around like her old self :)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #9 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
It's not clear to me whether your tank is cycled. A sponge filter is best for this, as you already know. A sponge filter with a coarse sponge will filter particulates as well as any other.

Hi Myates,
Glad to see you're still around. I value your experienced advice.
Thanks :) I've learned from some great people here a while back, as well as my own experiences in raising/breeding all types of fish.