Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 
Ant10a

Smile Filter Set Up & Advice

Ok... So I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank. I don't have a working filter, so I only had it filled with about 4 gallons and was changing it manually.

I am going to go out and buy a filter for the 10 gallon later, and I have a few questions.

When actually putting in the filter what is needed. My betta will have to remain inside as I have no where else for him to go, and I have just a little bit of gravel and some fake plants in it.

Now, will putting the filter in hurt my betta in any way? Is this going to start to cycle it now when I put the filter in and start a fish in cycle because I have my betta in it and all of that?

Just wondering the advice for putting in a new filter in a tank where the betta has been for a while with manual changes.

Thanks in advance!
Ant10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10a View Post
Ok... So I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank. I don't have a working filter, so I only had it filled with about 4 gallons and was changing it manually.

I am going to go out and buy a filter for the 10 gallon later, and I have a few questions.

When actually putting in the filter what is needed. My betta will have to remain inside as I have no where else for him to go, and I have just a little bit of gravel and some fake plants in it.

Now, will putting the filter in hurt my betta in any way? Is this going to start to cycle it now when I put the filter in and start a fish in cycle because I have my betta in it and all of that?

Just wondering the advice for putting in a new filter in a tank where the betta has been for a while with manual changes.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! It depends what type of filter you are getting: Hang-on-back, internal, under gravel, etc. Once you get your filter, the tank will be filled, and the filter should start cycling. You will have to do PARTIAL (you NEVER clean a tank that size completely unless you cleaning it after a fish death) water change of 50% every 3 days for 4-7 weeks until the water parameters are stable. Your fish DOES stay in the tank when you change some of the water. If you are worried about a Hang-on-back filter hurting your betta because of the current, yu can always make a filter baffle with a water bottle.

Hop i helped a little :)

Good luck!-ps, IMO, finless cycles are way safer because you don't risk your fish dying
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 
Ant10a

Thanks.

I need to leave him in their because I have no where else to put him while it cycles. I don't have the money right now to buy another bowl to place him in and then buy the filter and let it cycle...

I am moving in a month, do you think it would be better just to do partial changes by hand until I move and then get a filter?

How many water changes would be needed if I just leave it as 4 gallons in the tank, and then do that by hand?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #4 
Ant10a

I am moving in a month, do you think it would be better just to do partial changes by hand until I move and then get a filter?

How many water changes would be needed if I just leave it as 4 gallons in the tank, and then do that by hand?