Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Unhappy Feeling guilty...

One of my dogs, Casey, we adopted last year from our local shelter. She had been terribly abused, neglected and starved. We have tried socializing her with other dogs, and people, but she just wants nothing to do with them. She lives here with my husband, myself, and our other rescue Cody, who she gets along with great. Today I had to take her to the vet for her rabies update, and it was just awful...growling at people, scared, and had to be muzzled for her shot. I feel like it's my fault, like I didn't try hard enough in the past year to get her used to other people and dogs. Her world basically consists of our fenced yard, and us. I'm glad that we got her out of the shelter alive, and that she has love, food, care, and a great friend in Cody...but I still feel like I've not done enough. I don't think she will ever be trusting of others. I just feel guilty that this "small" world we've given her is just not enough. SIGH
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 
Made2party

aww sorry

Last edited by Made2party; 07-20-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: mess up
Made2party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

One of my rescued dogs was abused too. He came to us starved, teeth broken, and extremely nervous around males. We've had him for over 9 years now, and he's completely healthy and happy. However, he's always been known to escape and run away from home. Even though we rescued him and he's happy here, running away is just something from his past that we won't be able to change. We just keep him safe by making sure he's always on a leash when he's outside.
The lack of trust with people is probably just an affect of your dog's previous life, unfortunately, and may never go away. But what really counts is that he trusts and appreciates you and his loving family. I don't think you've done anything wrong; I think you've done everything right by giving him a better life and earning his trust.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
One of my rescued dogs was abused too. He came to us starved, teeth broken, and extremely nervous around males. We've had him for over 9 years now, and he's completely healthy and happy. However, he's always been known to escape and run away from home. Even though we rescued him and he's happy here, running away is just something from his past that we won't be able to change. We just keep him safe by making sure he's always on a leash when he's outside.
The lack of trust with people is probably just an affect of your dog's previous life, unfortunately, and may never go away. But what really counts is that he trusts and appreciates you and his loving family. I don't think you've done anything wrong; I think you've done everything right by giving him a better life and earning his trust.
Thanks so much Jeremy..I guess I just feel if I had spent more time trying to socialize her etc. she would be better with people now, but both she and Cody are horrible on leash and pull me something awful. I have a neck injury from an accident, so I can't let that happen. We take both her and Cody to the beach with us sometimes, but it is a real pain between the pulling and the aggression when she sees another dog. She loves to swim in the ocean though...We just adopted another dog from the shelter, and he is doing great on leash training thank goodness. I just wish that hubby was home more, and more willing to help with their training...I feel like I've failed Casey and Cody. I can take Cody out alone, but not Casey. I only take them riding in the car with me to get them out.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Thanks so much Jeremy..I guess I just feel if I had spent more time trying to socialize her etc. she would be better with people now, but both she and Cody are horrible on leash and pull me something awful. I have a neck injury from an accident, so I can't let that happen. We take both her and Cody to the beach with us sometimes, but it is a real pain between the pulling and the aggression when she sees another dog. She loves to swim in the ocean though...We just adopted another dog from the shelter, and he is doing great on leash training thank goodness. I just wish that hubby was home more, and more willing to help with their training...I feel like I've failed Casey and Cody. I can take Cody out alone, but not Casey. I only take them riding in the car with me to get them out.
Do you have a back yard that you can go play with the two in? I'm sure they'd enjoy running around with you!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #6 
Enkil

Some dogs take more time and work to get to the point where they are even slightly comfortable in the world again. All I can say is: Don't give up on her. Keep trying. Be very repetative and offer LOTS of positive reinforcement.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Do you have a back yard that you can go play with the two in? I'm sure they'd enjoy running around with you!
Yeah, we have a fenced back yard, and play there all the time..they love chasing bubbles, playing fetch, and Cody loves his swimming pool!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
Some dogs take more time and work to get to the point where they are even slightly comfortable in the world again. All I can say is: Don't give up on her. Keep trying. Be very repetative and offer LOTS of positive reinforcement.
Thanks...I won't ever give up on her...and all of my training is positive reinforcement...speaking of which, I hear one of them calling me..it's potty time! They are all kennel trained, and sleep in them. I best go let them out!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #9 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Yeah, we have a fenced back yard, and play there all the time..they love chasing bubbles, playing fetch, and Cody loves his swimming pool!
Oh good! I'm glad they can play out there even if they don't always get to go out! (I'm sure they are too!) :)

Does Casey interact with anyone besides you and your husband? Maybe if you had a friend come over and play with her it could help with her trust issue. Just little steps, one at a time...
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Oh good! I'm glad they can play out there even if they don't always get to go out! (I'm sure they are too!) :)

Does Casey interact with anyone besides you and your husband? Maybe if you had a friend come over and play with her it could help with her trust issue. Just little steps, one at a time...
We seldom have company...and when we do it's a slow process with Casey. I usually bring her in after Cody has greeted everyone, and then allow her to warm up to whoever is here...then she goes off leash. She is usually fine with them after about five minutes, and realizes that they are "safe" people.

Tags
dogs, socializing