Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #1 
LynnO

Best heater for 3 gallon?

Hello,

I live in S. Florida, so my 3 gallon stays at a pretty consistent 75-76 degrees. However, I realize that this may not be ideal, and I will definitely have to get something for the cooler months (there aren't many).

My tank is a Marineland Crescent 3. What heater would you recommend? I would prefer something that I can set the temp on, and not something pre-set.

Thanks for your advice!
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 
JBosley

I have this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752191

In the exact same tank! It works great Just when I turn it to 79F, it heats it to about 83F because the tank is so small. I just adjusted it and watched the thermometer until I got it to be around 80F It keeps it nice and consistent!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 
LynnO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I have this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752191

In the exact same tank! It works great Just when I turn it to 79F, it heats it to about 83F because the tank is so small. I just adjusted it and watched the thermometer until I got it to be around 80F It keeps it nice and consistent!
Thank you! I love this tank! Do you like yours? I do struggle with the decor and landscape though. This is the first very small tank I have ever had. In the past I've had a 60 gallon reef or a 55 gallon freshwater. This is a big difference - LOL! But I couldn't live without a fish, so I entered the wonderful world of Bettas - which I had zero knowledge of. But thanks to the wonderful people on this site, I have gathered a wealth of information.

I've also heard good things about the Hydro's? Anyone else have experience with those on 3 gallons tanks?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Top Fin heaters are known to unleash this chemical. *shudder* :0

Don't you mean Hydor? Then yes, it's one of the best heaters for small tanks out there. It's called "Hydor THEO". It's adjustable, and gets it to the perfect temperature. :) Me and Lebron are satisfied customers. ^^"
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #5 
LynnO

Yes - I meant Hydor. :) So Top Fin heaters are known to release a chemical? That is not good!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #6 
MSG

What LTB said.. Hydor THEO & my personal recommendation of the Visi-Therm Submersible heaters.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 
glitchsniffer

I have a Hydor Theo in a 2.5g Minibow and it works great. Just as a poster above stated with the Top Fin brand, make sure you set it lower at first because since it is a small tank it will heat it higher than the dial on the heater says.
glitchsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 
JBosley

I've done a planted tank with my Marineland Crescent 3, and it's great! As for a hidey cave I use a small terra cotta pot from the dollar store, and love it

Seriously?! I've had the heater for 6 months now, and the water seems fine + Betta + the water parameters are great! Maybe I will look into a new heater....ick.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #9 
glitchsniffer

If the heater works, use it. I don't think any of us are telling you that its a horrible idea to use it, just that we know that a Hydor works great too. Opinions differ greatly on a forum and not ever answer is the perfect solution for you. When I was in the market for the small heater if a Top Fin one was what was availiable then I probably would have bought it without a second thought. Chances are that if it hasnt killed any fish by now it never will, barring the fact that it doesn't break due to some unknown circumstance.
glitchsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote