Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #11 
TheCheese909

I honestly do not believe online petitions do anything at all. I've never heard of one actually making a change in the real world, though it's a nice idea and all I just don't see it working.

We need to take action that we know will help, and writing letters does help so long as you make valid points and don't sound as if you're (no offence to anyone who is)10 years old. I took photos as well as writing that letter, they didn't ask for any but I did mention that I had them and they may come in handy to anyone who does write a complaint. They will ask for a store # exc. so make sure you have that. Also tell the employees there at the store before writing in- so that you can add in your letter that you did tell someone.

It helps, our store has proved that to me.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

PETA kills animals and makes others become vegan including cats they are hypocrites you should complain to there headquarters or a local shelter. PETA gives violent pictures to ypung kids and gives money to the ALF a recognized terrorist group.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

sorry meant to say young.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #14 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm not sure since several people have left notes at different stores complaining about the small containers/tanks they sell and left our web address on the notes. That is not allowed. If you're going to sign petitions or send e mail please do not post our web address.
....?
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #15 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I honestly do not believe online petitions do anything at all. I've never heard of one actually making a change in the real world, though it's a nice idea and all I just don't see it working.
Not true. There was one on change.org that actually worked. I forget the specifics but it involved a solder in Iraq and a dog. The petition was to allow the dog to be reunited with the soldier.

I wish I remembered more details
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #16 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Not true. There was one on change.org that actually worked. I forget the specifics but it involved a solder in Iraq and a dog. The petition was to allow the dog to be reunited with the soldier.

I wish I remembered more details
There are many examples of petitions which worked, including PIPA and SOPA.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #17 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I think on most cases, the only thing that works against big corporations is bad press, losing money, or annoying the crap out of employees enough that they would rather make sure the water is changed than see our annoying faces in their store bothering them again.

Just my take on the psychology of it all!

Now, I get nervous to make a scene, I am not so comfortable complaining, but when I get really really mad, I will complain anyway. But I do my best work when I write something and take a deep breath and edit it. I also think visual statements work sometimes. I mentioned this on other threads but the other day after I complained at my Petco about the growing number of dead and diseased fish a couple days in a row . . I just posted photos on Yelp. My complaining wasn't helping so I thought maybe posting evidence would. I am going to write a review but I wanted to think about an intelligent and "to-the-point", concise way to say it. I was too angry to write anything that day.

Maybe we can collectively figure out a few basic complaint letters to email or send to stores that don't take decent care of the bettas. I think it's important to use correct grammar, spelling, and like someone here said, not "sound 10 years old" . . . not that a young person couldn't sound intelligent, of course.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #18 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Cheese, your story gives us all hope!

I think you can share petitions here. The person who started Betta Fish Awareness Day is a member of this forum, and I believe s/he shared a link to a petition to Petsmart to stop selling tanks under 1 gal here.
Hello!

Yes, I founded Betta Fish Awareness Day and the petition against PetSmart selling fish tanks that hold less than 1 gallon of water. The petition is, at the very least, a way to gain awareness on behalf of betta fish welfare.

Just to make clear: I never have supported or told supporters of the page to use this website in any activism because it is not affiliated with the Facebook page. Unfortunately, I cannot control what some people do. I instead encourage people to leave the url to the Facebook page if they do feel that they need to link people to an online resource.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #19 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
We need to take action that we know will help, and writing letters does help so long as you make valid points and don't sound as if you're (no offence to anyone who is)10 years old. I took photos as well as writing that letter, they didn't ask for any but I did mention that I had them and they may come in handy to anyone who does write a complaint. They will ask for a store # exc. so make sure you have that. Also tell the employees there at the store before writing in- so that you can add in your letter that you did tell someone.

It helps, our store has proved that to me.
Regardless of wether or not petitions work, I think this is a good idea. ^
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Hello!

Yes, I founded Betta Fish Awareness Day and the petition against PetSmart selling fish tanks that hold less than 1 gallon of water. The petition is, at the very least, a way to gain awareness on behalf of betta fish welfare.

Just to make clear: I never have supported or told supporters of the page to use this website in any activism because it is not affiliated with the Facebook page. Unfortunately, I cannot control what some people do. I instead encourage people to leave the url to the Facebook page if they do feel that they need to link people to an online resource.
I'm sorry if you thought my comment was aimed at you. It wasn't but some members posted awhile back that they were going to Walmart or other places, writing and leaving notes with this forum 's web address. We were told there could be legal consequences from this and that's why I said what I did. I think the reason they wanted to leave our web address is that they we're hoping people would come here to learn to take proper care of their bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote