Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

These are my three dogs...Cody is the little black guy, Casey is the yellow terrier, and Leo is the huge one we just rescued last Friday! He has made it into the "pack", the first day of course was the toughest, especially for Casey, but she is okay with him now. All three are still adjusting of course, who's bed, who's toys, who's time for attention from "super alpha" (me), but I am really pleased with the progress we have all made in such a short amount of time!
Name:  Leo Aug. 4 2012 008 (600x446).jpg
Views: 50
Size:  57.1 KB
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #12 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
We seldom have company...and when we do it's a slow process with Casey. I usually bring her in after Cody has greeted everyone, and then allow her to warm up to whoever is here...then she goes off leash. She is usually fine with them after about five minutes, and realizes that they are "safe" people.
That's good! I think it would be very beneficial for her to get to know more "safe" people.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
That's good! I think it would be very beneficial for her to get to know more "safe" people.
Me too...I hate to sound pathetic, but hubby and I don't have a lot of friends really, so it's hard. I did the dog park once with her, and it wasn't too bad, but she tended to stay to herself mostly while Cody played with the other dogs. I hate the dog park though..worry about too much exposure to diseases etc. If I could just get her better leashed trained it would help. I could take her out alone with me, but I can't do it alone, and can't afford a trainer. I sometimes take Cody out and leave Casey home, and it makes me feel horrible, but Cody is well socialized and I can handle one dog well, Cody doesn't pull as much when Casey is not there either. I have felt badly lately just taking Leo out walking in the evenings too, but I am determined for him to do well on the leash, so I have no choice. He is doing really well, very food driven and attentive. Both Cody and Casey have trouble focusing on me when I try to improve their leash obedience, so they get walked less, which in turn makes it worse...sigh. yeah, vicious cycle.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #14 
Ghost Handler

Bettanewbie, Don't feel guilty, you've done a good thing to give him a loving home. We have a Chessie/Lab mix who has always had trouble meeting new people. Fortunately he has fewer issues with dogs. We were in the same situation and found that we avoided inviting people over because we didn't know how he would react. (Probably the wrong approach.) He was usually pretty good with people who showed absolutly no fear, but the least bit of heasitation could bring out the worst. So I sympathize completely, and commend your for rescuing your guy from a much worse fate.

If Casey is like our Chester he's the sweetest cuddliest thing one could imagine with the people he trusts. Just know that you've done a very good thing, even if Casey never completely socializes with people.
Ghost Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #15 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Me too...I hate to sound pathetic, but hubby and I don't have a lot of friends really, so it's hard. I did the dog park once with her, and it wasn't too bad, but she tended to stay to herself mostly while Cody played with the other dogs. I hate the dog park though..worry about too much exposure to diseases etc. If I could just get her better leashed trained it would help. I could take her out alone with me, but I can't do it alone, and can't afford a trainer. I sometimes take Cody out and leave Casey home, and it makes me feel horrible, but Cody is well socialized and I can handle one dog well, Cody doesn't pull as much when Casey is not there either. I have felt badly lately just taking Leo out walking in the evenings too, but I am determined for him to do well on the leash, so I have no choice. He is doing really well, very food driven and attentive. Both Cody and Casey have trouble focusing on me when I try to improve their leash obedience, so they get walked less, which in turn makes it worse...sigh. yeah, vicious cycle.
Your pups look great!

I have two Siberian Huskies who love to pull while they're being walked. It used to be awful. However, we got them these choke collars (I know it sounds mean, but they got used to them quickly and I promise it's not as bad as it sounds!!) that helped with walking dramatically. Now I am able to walk both at the same time, with the occasional reminder of "no pulling" and a little tug at the leash. We both enjoy walk time since.

This is the collar type we use with them: http://www.petco.com/product/111525/...-for-Dogs.aspx
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #16 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Handler View Post
Bettanewbie, Don't feel guilty, you've done a good thing to give him a loving home. We have a Chessie/Lab mix who has always had trouble meeting new people. Fortunately he has fewer issues with dogs. We were in the same situation and found that we avoided inviting people over because we didn't know how he would react. (Probably the wrong approach.) He was usually pretty good with people who showed absolutly no fear, but the least bit of heasitation could bring out the worst. So I sympathize completely, and commend your for rescuing your guy from a much worse fate.

If Casey is like our Chester he's the sweetest cuddliest thing one could imagine with the people he trusts. Just know that you've done a very good thing, even if Casey never completely socializes with people.
Thanks Ghost...She is really a sweet and loving dog. She is just so fearful, and I can't say as I blame her. Yeah, she reacts the same way if someone acts afraid of her. I usually give them treats and tell them to greet Cody first, and use the high, happy voice, and call them by name, then give them each a treat. Casey definitely does better with confident people...I love her. I know too that with her "problems" a lot of others might have returned her to the shelter, and she wouldn't even have a life now. I just always think I could do more, for her.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #17 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Handler View Post

+1 :)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #18 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Your pups look great!

I have two Siberian Huskies who love to pull while they're being walked. It used to be awful. However, we got them these choke collars (I know it sounds mean, but they got used to them quickly and I promise it's not as bad as it sounds!!) that helped with walking dramatically. Now I am able to walk both at the same time, with the occasional reminder of "no pulling" and a little tug at the leash. We both enjoy walk time since.

This is the collar type we use with them: http://www.petco.com/product/111525/...-for-Dogs.aspx
I used one of those collars on Cody just ONCE and he yelped so loud when he pulled...never again. I'm glad they work for you, but I don't even use regular collars for walking my dogs..only harnesses. I don't like anything that pulls on their throat, and with the terriers there is little between the collar and skin. It's just my way.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #19 
Ghost Handler

Quote:
I used one of those collars on Cody just ONCE and he yelped so loud when he pulled...never again. I'm glad they work for you, but I don't even use regular collars for walking my dogs..only harnesses. I don't like anything that pulls on their throat, and with the terriers there is little between the collar and skin. It's just my way.
Have you tried a "Gentle Leader"? it goes over the nose and fits high on the neck. Worked wonders for our two big guy, one 80+lbs and one almost 90 lbs. We eventually stopped using them because we didn't need them, but they were great when we were first leash training.
Ghost Handler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #20 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
That makes sense. Huskies have really thick fur so they don't feel it as much as a dog with shorter fur would.

Tags
dogs, socializing