Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #11 
cjconcepcion

hahahahaha its like the new teenage mutant ninja turtles
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #12 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
As I went to do my 50% changes for my two guys in the 1g bowls, I decided not to move my newest guy out, so I wouldn't freak him by cupping/netting him. Well, what an idiot I feel like now. He so freaked anyway by the vacuum that when I was done I noticed a couple of "chips" out of his tail..sigh. I'm not really sure how it even happened, but he had such a perfect tail...dang..next time he gets removed anyway. I hate learning by mistakes when it comes to living creatures...

:( Poor guy.. at least it was a tail and that can be regrown.

It's always hard doing the first few water changes with a new fish.. you don't want to stress/scare them because it's all new to them, but yet you want them to get used to having it done. Do you use the cup to remove them? I tend to find the stress is a tiny bit less doing it that way rather then removing them out of the water with the net.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

It's always hard doing the first few water changes with a new fish.. you don't want to stress/scare them because it's all new to them, but yet you want them to get used to having it done. Do you use the cup to remove them? I tend to find the stress is a tiny bit less doing it that way rather then removing them out of the water with the net.
Thanks Myates..yeah, I use a cup. I only use the net when absolutely necessary like with my darting female. Most of the time I can manage to cup my males though. I still feel badly. Not much to be done now. I just have to get over it. I hate having him in a 1g bowl, but until finances improve it will have to do. Clean, warm water and less stress for him is my goal. I removed one of the plants, and put in a log for him to hide in. It takes up the bottom of the bowl, but he seems to LOVE it...great hiding, and without the extra plant, more swimming room. I'm hoping now he'll unclamp a bit. Too bad tomorrow is water change day again lol.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #14 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

This could not be more true, all the fish I have, can easily be cupped, as I had such a time with it at first, with our first, (sounds like I am talking about my kids..) lol..kinda..so Sammy, being the first and in the beginning, I being very in-experienced in cupping..I chose not to, because when I first tried, it scared him and me, because he tried to get away..

and I had him cornered against the tank wall..and he panicked, and I panicked and he hid, and everytime I came near him with a cup, he'd hide, and I'd feel bad, and work around him..Now in his 5 gal I have more room to work around him, but I want him to get used to being cupped so I do it more often, and he still hates it, but is getting used to it slowly..

and I have seen with the daily water changes with my rescues, no prob..they just go right in.. It's actually better to practice so they can get used to it, without a water change day..just to practice..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #15 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
This could not be more true, all the fish I have, can easily be cupped, as I had such a time with it at first, with our first, (sounds like I am talking about my kids..) lol..kinda..so Sammy, being the first and in the beginning, I being very in-experienced in cupping..I chose not to, because when I first tried, it scared him and me, because he tried to get away..

and I had him cornered against the tank wall..and he panicked, and I panicked and he hid, and everytime I came near him with a cup, he'd hide, and I'd feel bad, and work around him..Now in his 5 gal I have more room to work around him, but I want him to get used to being cupped so I do it more often, and he still hates it, but is getting used to it slowly..

and I have seen with the daily water changes with my rescues, no prob..they just go right in.. It's actually better to practice so they can get used to it, without a water change day..just to practice..
I can so relate! The first time I cupped Buddy, my first betta, I actually clipped one of the tips of his fins off..he's a CT! However, he is much more used to me now, and comes right up, and it's easy to cup him. Bandit, the one I made this post about is my newest, so not used to anything yet. He's my avatar pic right now. I love when they finally get calm and used to the routine.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #16 
Seki

Aw, poor thing. But don't beat yourself up over it. I was feeling incredibly guilty, too, when my Drago was put in with plastic plants and ripped a huge chunk of his anal fin off on one of them. But don't worry, his fins with regrow, just like Drago's is. We live and we learn... my fishy is now in with some nice, soft silk plants that he can't hurt himself on, and his fin is regrowing nicely.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #17 
Myates

I have half and half on who is used to it and goes right in, and who is used to it but will put up a fight just because they can. It tends to be females who are the feisty ones in my experience. I am trying to figure out how to get them to jump into the cups lol.. I can get them to jump quite high (and in some cases 4-5 inches across the water) but I haven't tried getting them to jump into a cup, I'm too scared to try that lol But it would make things so much easier to just hold the cup with water and they jump right in!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #18 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Aw, poor thing. But don't beat yourself up over it. I was feeling incredibly guilty, too, when my Drago was put in with plastic plants and ripped a huge chunk of his anal fin off on one of them. But don't worry, his fins with regrow, just like Drago's is. We live and we learn... my fishy is now in with some nice, soft silk plants that he can't hurt himself on, and his fin is regrowing nicely.
Thanks Seki..it's nice to know I'm not the only one. That's why I love this forum, you don't just learn what to do, but you realize that many of us have made mistakes when starting out. I'm glad their fins can regrow too.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #19 
Jessie1990

One morning I woke up and randomly decided to do a water change on my blue betta's hospital tank... Apparently my brain was not functioning properly because instead of scooping water out, I tipped the kritter keeper sideways and Seraph jumped out D: he plopped straight down the drain. Luckily we have a garbage disposal that had a steel plate right below the drain... So I reached my hand down and grabbed him (thinking off every horror film where the hand gets ground off). Anyway, I had dumped bleach down the drain the night before so I was very worried. He got two scratches down there and they had a strange tint. So I treated with AQ salt and luckily he healed up in a few days. I felt horrible for sacrificing my fishes health due to laziness
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote