Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #11 

I would add a lot more plant's such as Watersprite,Anacharis,anubia,Vallisneria, Pennywort, and find lighting that would give more even spread of light the length of the tank.
Nitrites (with an I) you posted are FAR more dangerous to the fish than Nitrates(with an A) and must be as close to zero as possible.
Feeding the fish tiny amount, once every other day until the tank has matured, or you get a lot more plant's will help and keep a close eye on those nitrites (with an I).
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

When you say NPT...is this a soil based tank or is this a planted tank with gravel substrate.....

What kind of test product are you using, have you tested your source water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, if not, I would recommend that you run test on the source water.

Also, the plant food/ferts can cause false readings especially with new setup and plants that are not actively growing or if you have the wrong color temp light for the plants to use it.

How many days has the tank been setup, what is the stocking-number and species of livestock and what type of filter.

Tell us about your lights-age of bulbs, watts, kelvin and photoperiod...

Right now I would start making 50% water changes every day to every other day and stop adding ferts for now.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #13 
kfryman

I was gonna ask the same questions OFL!

If you mean an NPT (soil based) you are going to need like way more stems planted. If you meant a planted tank then you are fine, but your plants seem like they are still adjusting and won't be taking any nutrients in.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote