Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 
ClassicCharm

Snail?

I've got a bit of an algae problem going on in my sorority tank. It houses 6 girlies.

Another poster recommended I get a Nerite snail. Someone at my LPS recommended something called an Otocinclus, an alge-eating fish instead because bettas tend to beat up on snails (?).

Would adding either of these be pushing the limit of my tank? Which of these would be the best option, or are there any other options?

I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks! :)
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCharm View Post
I've got a bit of an algae problem going on in my sorority tank. It houses 6 girlies.

Another poster recommended I get a Nerite snail. Someone at my LPS recommended something called an Otocinclus, an alge-eating fish instead because bettas tend to beat up on snails (?).

Would adding either of these be pushing the limit of my tank? Which of these would be the best option, or are there any other options?

I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thanks! :)
hello!

We need to know how big your tank is if you want a snail. Please keep in mind that while Nerite snails are the best snails for aquariums, they still produce a HUGE bio-load and can sometimes poop more than a fish. Otos can also be VERY fragile and sensitive to a slight change in water parameters, and have special diets. if you HAD to get one, i would get the Nerite snail. Believe it or not, the more live plants you have plants you have in a tank, the less nutrients algae needs to bro will be present, meaning the algae will have no food and die off. Live plants can only improve water quality, unless they do not receive matinence and rot and decay. You and your tank are better off with weekly water changes and scrubbing your tank with a aquarium algae sponge weekly.\

Good luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 
ClassicCharm

Whoops! Can't believe I forgot that. The tank is 10 gallons, heated, cycled, filtered. It gets a 50% water change once weekly with a thorough gravel vacuum. At this point, the tank does not have any live plants- they are all plastic. I plan eventually to move to live plants, but that's not feasible in this tank right now.

Thanks for that info!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 
Jessie1990

I tried Corys with one of my kings... He chased and tried to kill them so I gave them to a friend. I then got him a nerite snail and I was a bit worried when the betta started "inspecting" him VERY closely. But apparently he decided he was okay. The nerite is now in with another king that also seems to love his company. I also tried adding 12 ghost shrimp, which ended up being snacks. And one ended up in the hood light and got zapped.

Short story: I only trust my bettas to be alone with nerite snails and the are superior algae cleaners :)
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

Remember that Otos are schoaling fish so you would have to get at least 4.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 
ClassicCharm

Good to know Freyja! That axes those guys, as my tank definitely can't support that many new friends.