Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #21 
starrlamia

Google alpha roll debunked or dominance training debunked, you will find a ton of info, the study it was based on is faulty, doing it in play is very different than when serious. Google Patricia mcconnell and Sophia yin both have phds in animal behaviour.

The trick with work to eat toys is to supervise and pick them up as soon as they are done. Use black kongs and freeze them. Also look into aikiou bowls.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #22 
tpocicat

Alpha roll worked with our wolf dog when he started getting Alpha ideas. He's a wonderful reliable pet.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #23 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Alpha roll worked with our wolf dog when he started getting Alpha ideas. He's a wonderful reliable pet.
If you read the literature it talks about why it can work but why you shouldn't use it, there can be psychological ramifications. The original study that popularized alpha rolls was done terribly and not on an actual pack of wolves.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #24 
Enkil

I have always used the alpha role with my dogs and always will. It works and has never harmed my dogs in any way. All have been happy and healthy. Not going to stop what works now. I know it works and, as I said, mother DOGS do it to their pups to show them they are not in charge or have done wrong. Ear biting works. Taking on an alpha role works. I have used both on: beagles, mutts, bassets, dobies, rotties, chis, Am Staffs, my wolf hybrid. I also use dominant roles with Danes.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #25 
LebronTheBetta

That's a great way for some dominance it the house. Lol
How's Fenris now? And do you mind telling me how much money the vet bills were for neutering, injections, and all that? It's just that in a few years I *might* get a dog so I really want to know how much money are the vet bills for you. The internet has mixed replies, yikes. >.0
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #26 
starrlamia

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...007250,00.html
http://www.helium.com/items/1524197-...aining-methods
http://companionanimalsolutions.com/...alpha-rolling/
http://positivepolicedogs.wordpress....a-roll-my-dog/
http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/ne...e_more_harm_t/_

im sure as a vet student you like evidenced based methods and research, the above are some of those, the last one being written by a phd in animal behaviour.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #27 
Enkil

starr - I'm sorry, but I know what works. I have studied dogs. I have helped whelp dogs. I have watched what mother dogs to their pups. They pin them. They bite their ears. I do what works and none of my dogs have ever had issues from it. They have been well behaved and great family pets.

Lebron - I have a wellness plan for him with Banfield. It really pays off! They have a puppy plan that covers most of the neuter/spay. What cost us was that he needed antibiotics for the skin infection. He also got chipped which was about $30 something. After the surgery, he was put on an antibiotic pill and pain reliever. The first pain reliever didn't work for him, so we had to get a different one. Which cost more. Then there was the cone. He's a big head so his cone was a little more than expected. lol So long as dog is healthy going into it, it wont cost much. The pain reliever tends to be really inexpensive. The first one they put them on is a chewable.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #28 
starrlamia

well I can anecdotally say that I can keep a betta alive in an unheated 1 gallon container but that doesnt mean its good for it... You arent a dog, and you arent the pups mother, they are smart and know the difference. But there is no point in beating a dead horse. I do suggest doing more research into actual scientific based methods. And I highly recommend Patricia McConnell's book The Other End of the Leash.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post

Lebron - I have a wellness plan for him with Banfield. It really pays off! They have a puppy plan that covers most of the neuter/spay. What cost us was that he needed antibiotics for the skin infection. He also got chipped which was about $30 something. After the surgery, he was put on an antibiotic pill and pain reliever. The first pain reliever didn't work for him, so we had to get a different one. Which cost more. Then there was the cone. He's a big head so his cone was a little more than expected. lol So long as dog is healthy going into it, it wont cost much. The pain reliever tends to be really inexpensive. The first one they put them on is a chewable.
So it varies. Great... Well that's great you have like an insurance? I wonder if that's here... Well, get well soon! And I hope all the other bills aren't expensive. 8I
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #30 
Enkil

Banfield is the vet clinic I take Fenris to. They have wellness plans you get your pet on and pay so much a year for. It covers quite a lot and discounts most other things. I love it. Where do you live?
Up until now, he hasn't really been an expensive dog. My Talon was, and I tend to look at expenses differently because of it. XD The surgery and following expenses were a little more than expected. Not too big a deal. It happens sometimes. Other than that, the most expensive part of him has been toys. lol They just don't stand up to him.

starr - I'm sorry, but I am not going to argue this with you. Experts have different opinions. None of my dogs have ever been harmed by my methods. All have been good dogs and well adjusted. I do what works, that is all there is to it. If you do not like that, please do not post here. The way you are going about this is not helpful.

At the moment, Fenris is being my sleepy pup. He was acting out again this morning. Having him be my snuggle bug now. Kind of need it after the rough night. While he sleeps, I tend to rest my head against him.