Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #21 
MSG

That's something I'll be learning as well about the PFS, I know a guy that has a multitude of tanks & he's running PFS on all of them. I have to stop by when he does the maintenance so I can check it out. He highly recommends the stuff.

What kind of food are you feeding your cories?

Also my Rosy barbs did NOT like the bettas at all. Cherrie B's may be more docile, but that's just a guess because they have whiskers & are probably more bottom feeders.

Get a 50lb bag of the PFS, but shop around first. I heard some brands require more cleaning than others.

Definitely don't buy a fish if they look sick. Treating for disease in a new fish is too much trouble.

My female betta was transfered to my guppy tank last night to give her some exercise. She ended up decapitating the smallest guppy this morning, but the rest of the guppies are unharmed. I think she ate one of the snails too.

*sigh* Time to transfer her.

Last edited by MSG; 08-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #22 
xfeejayx

Lmao @ decapitated. One of my neon tetras is gone. Just plain gone. Might have been hiding, but checked last night and this morning.

Out of the ~20 fish I've bought in the last week, I've gotten 2 sick ones. Yea, they're gone too now (back to where they came from).

The cherry are definitely acting like bottom feeders. The two I have seem to be schooling with the neon tetras....don't know what that's about.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

I know lots of people running tanks with pool filter sand or play sand they picked up from the local hardware store. I'm pretty sure the only thing you have to watch is whether it is inert, and something to do with silicates which I believe can cause diatoms.

As to the gravel, I'm pretty sure if you use a smaller grain gravel in with a larger sized gravel, over time the smaller one will migrate to the bottom. It's either that, or the opposite happens, the small stuff ends up on top. I just can't recall which.

You can mix gravel but really sand is probably ideal for corydoras. If your gravel is smooth and rounded than you can use that, but I believe people have remarked on the difference in the behaviour of their cories once they have either added a small bowl of sand to their aquarium or completely switched out the substrate.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #24 
Pilot00

Call me a fool but i have seen a video on the amazon and those corries were in a rocky substrate... It got me confused.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I was going to say people have found corydoras on some very rocky areas. There's a video around where someone was surprised to find them swimming in an area with quite sharp gravel.

However, I do wonder whether the barbels of those fish in the wild are damaged because of this.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #26 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
Call me a fool but i have seen a video on the amazon and those corries were in a rocky substrate... It got me confused.
Alot of owners are not well informed of the cories sensitive barbs.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #27 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Alot of owners are not well informed of the cories sensitive barbs.
I dont know, i was talking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCZA-4CQH8

Given that this is one of their natural habitats i wouldnt say that they are not that sensitive. Not that they are not, but aquarium fine gravel seems better than whatever is in there.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #28 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
I dont know, i was talking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCZA-4CQH8

Given that this is one of their natural habitats i wouldnt say that they are not that sensitive. Not that they are not, but aquarium fine gravel seems better than whatever is in there.
In the wild their genetics aren't as compromised as they are with us. We're always trying to change animals through breeding.
So the domesticated Cories are going to be quite sensitive. I've seen it time and time again. I never knew it when I was younger. But looking back now how many cories died and remembering how damaged their barbs looked like.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #29 
xfeejayx

You guys got me thinking about this too much now.

I'm torn between the sand and gravel. Sand just seems so painful to clean, whereas gravel I just use the pump and I'm done. Maybe find smaller pebbles like the ones I have?
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #30 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
In the wild their genetics aren't as compromised as they are with us. We're always trying to change animals through breeding.
So the domesticated Cories are going to be quite sensitive. I've seen it time and time again. I never knew it when I was younger. But looking back now how many cories died and remembering how damaged their barbs looked like.
You need countless generations for such effects to take place. Even in fish. And given the fact that most are bred in captivity and released in aquariums which have a 50-50 chance on what to have in the bottom where they breed again, i believe the possibility is quite remote. Its like saying that bettas have become accustomed to their fins been torn from plastic and they can resist now because they are bred in this conditions.
I dont say throw them in the hardest environment. I am just saying that fine gravel is not going to be so much of an issue. Unless gravel for someone means rocks that is.

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-09-2012 at 04:00 PM.