Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 
Ace85

Aggressive Neon Tetras!

I have been keeping my betta in a community tank with 3 cory cats, 2 assassin snails, and 3 neon tetras. A few days ago I was distressed to find my betta's tail slightly shredded. I have since moved him into a ziploc bag in my floating in my tank. I suspect the neons but have always heard that they make suitable tank mates for bettas? Help???
Ace85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Well neons can be good tankmates for bettas, but you've got a problem there. Neon tetra (like all tetra) are schooling fish and need at least 6 neon tetra around to feel safe. When they don't feel safe they often lash out at other fish and bettas with their pretty colors and long fins are a prime target. Increase the school of neons to more than 6 and add a bunch of tall plants and other decor. This will greatly help the aggression issue.

You also didn't say how large the tank was. A too small tank can also cause aggressive behavior.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 
xfeejayx

ziploc bag? let me hear you say "that ain't right".

Get that guy into a punch bowl or something. A ziploc bag just seems painful.

And yes, increase tetra numbers, and give them space to hide. I hope your tank is AT LEAST a 5 gl.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #4 
Ace85

Its a 10 gallon and the betta is in a ziploc INSIDE the tank so the other fish still see him but can't attack him
Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I've actually used ziploc bags in this same manner when I've been moving fish in between tanks. There is nothing wrong with it, especially if the fish are large/didn't come with a cup.

You should add at least another 3 neons to the school, but aggression has also been reported with numbers at 6. Ideally neons need to be around 10 before they are completely peaceful. Personally, I would just put the betta in another tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #6 
kfryman

Koimaiden said what I always say lol. I never recommend less than 8 neons with a betta as they need to feel safe. Smaller the numbers more likely to have a problem.

Either take the betta out and put him in a separate tank or bump the numbers with the neons to at least 6 and add more plants/ cover
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 
Luimeril

the tank is overstocked, too, if i'm not mistaking. .3. both cory cats and neons need schools of 5+, but you can only really have one school of either in a 10 gallon.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 
xfeejayx

I hope it's a big ziploc :)

I had my betta in a 10g with 6 neon tetras and 2 danios for a couple months. Everyone was happy. I think 6 works out fine, but obviously it depends on the temperament of your specific fish.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #9 
Ace85

its a gallon ziploc and i recently acquired some apogeton bulbs working on getting 3 more neons