Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 
Link592

Why?

Why when I put my betta's in 76 - 79 with the heater, the right temperature my betta hates the water, but when I put him in his original 1/2 gallon, and it has no filter and heater he is happy? He shares the tank as well is this weird. He use to live in a cup all his life but why does he like it, I thought they are better off with a heater and at 76 - 79 degrees
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Are you constantly moving the fish from tank to tank? o.o

Because that can cause a lot of stress.

As for the whole tank thing, some bettas like smaller tanks...

But what exactly do you mean by "he hates it?" What signs are you seeing that make you believe that?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 
Link592

He gets all depressed, stays on the bottom of the tank and just lays there. But when I turn off the heater, allow it to get cold he's all happy and goes back to his usual self. I only moved him once since this is the first bigger tank at the moment he lives in a 1/2 gallon which is divided with a halfmoon and he's a crowntail my half moon is friendly and is happy to do anything without stressing out.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

I'm assuming you have a thermometer, right?

And to be honest...a half gallon divided is ridiculously too small. I'd say the minimum for a divided tank is a 4 or 5 gallon...

It could just be that he's stressed...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I think he just needs time to adjust. What all do you have on your tank ? Is there places he can hide or plants, those will make him feel more secure. Just be careful and do not put anything in the tank that he could get trapped in, make sure any holes are big enough for him to get in and out of.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

10 gallon mimimum for divided. He is probably just stressed. Turn off lights and let hmi adjust.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 
MollyJean

Could you tell us how big the "larger" tank is? If it's still small, 2-3 gallons, a heater might be over heating your betta. Make sure you have a thermometer to check your temp.

There could be a few reasons he is inactive, and the size of the tank might not have anything to do with it. A betta who too hot, too cold, over fed, under fed, living in dirty water, in a high traffic area of the house.. well there are a LOT of reasons he could be acting strange. A little more information would be useful.

It could be that the larger talk needs more hiding places, but some fish simply like smaller homes. Of course, by small I mean 1-2 gallons. Those split 1/2 gallon tanks aren't large enough to sustain even the smallest of lifeforms. Seamonkeys come in larger containers.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote