Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 
CandiceMM

Cleaning 11 Tanks Therapy?

So I had a pretty hard and stressful day at work today. When I got home I got to cleaning tanks, 11 of them. And by the time I was done I felt so happy and relaxed. I realized that owning Betta's and the care that comes with it is more than just a hobby for me. It's my own therapy, and it calms me down after a hard day. I just wanted to share because I'm sure it's like that for a lot of you out there.

Does anybody else experience this? And how has owning and caring for Betta's changed you life? Good or the bad I'm just curious.
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

I do when I clean Buddha;s tank. Pudge, not so much because he's extremely skittish.

To be honest, having bettas have helped me cope with the extra stress I've been recieving in my family. And I don't mean the, I need to punch something stress. But more of the, I'm thinking of hurting myself stress.

Watching them for 30 seconds reduces my stress level (and my heart rate). Talking to them and feeding them helps me even more. I am extremely grateful to have the both of them in my life.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

It is therapeutic until you suck someone halfway up the siphon, miss your tank and pour water all over your shelf or have some fish launch itself at your face while you are cleaning haha

But I do find doing tank maintenance and caring for all my fish does help cheer me up, and I love watching them go about their day-to-day business. It's sometimes more interesting than seeing what's on TV.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #4 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I do when I clean Buddha;s tank. Pudge, not so much because he's extremely skittish.

To be honest, having bettas have helped me cope with the extra stress I've been recieving in my family. And I don't mean the, I need to punch something stress. But more of the, I'm thinking of hurting myself stress.

Watching them for 30 seconds reduces my stress level (and my heart rate). Talking to them and feeding them helps me even more. I am extremely grateful to have the both of them in my life.

It's amazing the things we find soothing or therapeutic while others would call it a chore to do. I'm glad your Buddha helps calm you, I'm sure you do the same for him!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #5 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
It is therapeutic until you suck someone halfway up the siphon, miss your tank and pour water all over your shelf or have some fish launch itself at your face while you are cleaning haha

But I do find doing tank maintenance and caring for all my fish does help cheer me up, and I love watching them go about their day-to-day business. It's sometimes more interesting than seeing what's on TV.
Okay well you just made my bad day so much better!! Hahaha, I literally was just laughing out loud reading that!! So thanks for putting a smile on my face
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #6 
MollyJean

I'm the same way.. twice a day I go around, check on fish, feed everyone, talk to everyone and I feel better for hours after.. on the weekends when I clean tanks it makes the rest of the weekend chores that much more tolerable. Of course I have a very bad back, so it is depressing having to ask people for help all the time, but can't have it all, right?

It's kinda strange, I've added the pool into my daily tank rotation. I check the filter, clean up any floating leaves and check the chemicals. It's so relaxing (when the water pump doesn't fall off and send pool water gushing at my feet)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

I like making small changes to my tank :D like a few tiny changes here and there... trim plants, tease kuro etc. Water changes are the least therapeutic for me :P Good thing all I meed to do is top offs right now.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #8 
nel3

i wouldnt say its therapeutic but its calming to gravel vac my 5g tank. i hate greavel vac cleaning my 5g but got no choice with 2 bettas (one passed last night) and a nerite on the filter side in the 5b. it takes me 2 hours or so and changinf 3g of water along with it. i dont really feel pressed to rush with the 5g cleaning as much as a 100wc on the smaller uncycled tanks.

i do feel some releif knows i have a few days off from WC after all 3 smaller tanks are done.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #9 
SpookyTooth

I find water changes extremely tiring due to medical issues but once they're done and I see just how active my babies are, how crazy they go when they see me approach and how Kaze sometimes tries to jump at my fingers while I'm holding the siphon, the tiredness and physical pain feels so worth it hahah.

I just finished sprucing up Echo's new tank and that feels really good. With all my medical stuff considered it feels wonderful being able to provide a lovely and loving environment for my animals as I'm seldom able to do much of anything other than maintain their homes.

I also feel absolutely fantastic whenever I go to my favoured fish store, they have a job vacancy right now but I didn't see the notice until we were driving away... still not well enough to work but I may enquire anyway to see if we can arrange something on a voluntary basis... they know me well enough by now.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #10 
bettaboytroy

That is why I got into fishkeeping. I started with a 5 gal. by my bed. Thought watching the fish and listening to the water would help relax me. I have several betta's now. I actually like doing the water changes. Anyone getting into the hobby needs to realize they need to like all aspects of it. Maintainence is 90% of fishkeeping.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote