Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #21 
McLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Actually, and not to be the annoying know it all here, but a Habitrial Ovo is way too small for a syrian (teddy bear) hamster. The tubes are too small and the whole set up is just plain cramped for them....

i concur...the tubes are the worst choice for hamsters
McLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hahahahahhahahahahahahha oh lordie what did I get myself into.
Anywho, I was allergic to my mice.
Also, after my sulpher explosion I think fish tanks smell awful. Plus the snake... Just has that odor. All pets smell bad to me. Even pet rocks.. Ugh they have that mineral-y smell. o.o
Also, I have a hypersensitive nose. >_<
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #23 
MaisyDawgThirteen

The misconception with ovos is that you can just buy one of them. lol They are meant to be huge fun set-ups with lots of tubes. :) As long as it's big enough it'd be fine for a syrian.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #24 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
I wouldn't go to Hamster Hideout. While the info is good there, the mods and admins are a tad, shall we say, biased sometimes. It got so bad there that I was kicked out for no apparent reason other than defending another member, a friend of mine, from another overly aggressive know it all member who was bashing everyone, especially my friend. They never did anything to get rid of the bashing member but banned both me and my friend.

Go to www.HamsterCentral.com instead. Its way more friendly and the mods and admins there are not nearly as bad.
I agree that you should keep your nose to yourself if you don't want to get in fights!!!! lol, I was usually a silent member other than commenting that someone had a cute hamster or a really nice cage. Once I suggested that since voles are such naturally tame animals and have the same basic care as hamsters, live up to 5 years, don't smell 1/2 as much as hamsters, and can live in groups, they'd make pretty cool pets....I suggested that once day if someone's cat brought home a vole they should keep it for a few weeks to see how good of a pet it would be....Try to rehab it, maybe keep it. I thought that a vole is a better pet than a hamster and most people replied telling me to shut my mouth that "WE ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH ANIMALS ON THE MARKET AND THERE IS NO NEED TO TAKE MORE OUT OF THE WILD DO YOU KNOW HOW CRUELLY OTHER ANIMALS WERE DOMESTICATED?" they totally flew off the wall and started getting really angry at me....then they started yelling at me telling me how every single rodent they've ever touched had a million mites and fleas and rabies and everything on God's green earth that can kill you....then they started telling me that it would die of stress, undernourishment, etc. They wouldn't listen to me when I showed them a link of how someone kept a vole as a pet and others copied them, and they found out what foods they ate, how to care for them, etc, and one vole, when caught as an adult, lived for 4 years....a lot longer than a hamster. Also people's voles LOOOOOVED to snuggle, they would curl up on their necks and sleep, they would follow their owners around, generally be really tame. They were semi-tame from the moment they got them, too. And since they live peacefully in groups you could have like 10 in one cage xD
I don't see why people were so angry....it's a freaking rodent and I don't see how it could be harmful to just attempt to become friends with a wild animal. GEEEZ.
So yeah, if you don't want to be pushed down, don't say -anything- like that xD Other than that it's a really good website! Hehehe.
I had to rant.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #25 
TheCrabbyTabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
The misconception with ovos is that you can just buy one of them. lol They are meant to be huge fun set-ups with lots of tubes. :) As long as it's big enough it'd be fine for a syrian.
Actually, they aren't suitable for a syrian no matter how many of them you buy. You'd be better off with a bin cage or a large tank, say 30 gallons minimum.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #26 
kfryman

I wanted a hamster super bad and my mom was like no and I was like PLEASE!, still don't have a hammie lol. Probably better unless get a job or something. I have a 20 gallon long too, I wish I could do something with the 20 gallon, but no space...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #27 
KukaaKatchou

I have 2 Winter White hamsters. They are a dwarf variety. One is natural coloring and the other is a pearl coat. I have a Habitrail mini (for mice) linked up to an Ovo globe (that you can put the paper mazes in.) Two males will get along much better than 2 females (as I found out). My two little guys love the stuff that comes with the Habitrail mini and fit well in the tubes and connecters. They have 2 wheels, a ceramic cheese to hide in, an all natural wood platform thingie to run around and climb, little "bedrooms" connected to the ends of the cages. For bedding I like the paper bedding from Carefresh. I named them Cappuccino and Latte. They are very curious and friendly - much friendlier off the bat than my previous syrian hamsters.
Attached Images

KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #28 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Actually, they aren't suitable for a syrian no matter how many of them you buy. You'd be better off with a bin cage or a large tank, say 30 gallons minimum.
Hamsters naturally need to burrow, and the tubes help them be able to do that.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #29 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

GAH THOSE ARE SO CUTE!!!

Looks like we're in the same boat, kfry!
I even told my dad, let's put a hamster in the 90 gallon! NOPE. In the 90 I'd probably want a whole colony of dwarf hamsters, hehe.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #30 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KukaaKatchou View Post
I have 2 Winter White hamsters. They are a dwarf variety. One is natural coloring and the other is a pearl coat. I have a Habitrail mini (for mice) linked up to an Ovo globe (that you can put the paper mazes in.) Two males will get along much better than 2 females (as I found out). My two little guys love the stuff that comes with the Habitrail mini and fit well in the tubes and connecters. They have 2 wheels, a ceramic cheese to hide in, an all natural wood platform thingie to run around and climb, little "bedrooms" connected to the ends of the cages. For bedding I like the paper bedding from Carefresh. I named them Cappuccino and Latte. They are very curious and friendly - much friendlier off the bat than my previous syrian hamsters.
Your white WW looks exactly like my Campbell's but mine has red eyes. ;)