Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #21 
LittleWatty

I definitely think about some of the boys I didn't get... One of the ones I have now used to be one of the too. I passed on my silver plakat several times before I finally caved and picked him up.

About a month ago, there was this tiny little CT male, colored red and blue. He was too standard for me, so I passed him by. For the next few weeks, every time I stopped in, I would check on him. And each time his color got paler and paler. I thought about getting him this last time I went to Petco if he was still there, but he wasn't... I can only imagine that he passed on, or that he was lucky enough to get someone dedicated to bettas to pick him up.

This last time, when I picked up my butterfly VT, I saw a couple boys I wanted to take. Two of them had really nasty fungal infections, and I would have loved to try and save them. By the next day, one of them was long dead. Probably died the day before. The other looked 10x worse than he did the day before. Then there was a black (possibly Orchid) CT that looked recoverable. The next day, he was half dead. I wish wish wish I could have done something for them, but I'm pushing it with 5 boys, no way I could have taken any of those others home.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #22 
ktlelia

There's this white and purple big beautiful guy in this...-sigh- tractor supply shop...yes that's right you heard me correctly...they have this tiny pet area...
but anyway, I've been visiting him after work for a week. I don't have the area to give him right now...because I'm moving in a week...but I want him SO bad. If he's there still once I'm settled...he's MINE.
He's so hyper and big too. Like he was going to walk out of that bowl and take my purse. I dunno what type he really is honestly because I'm slightly dumb at fingering out betta types, but he was massive, shorter fins but male, very shiny, and his tails look sorta like a butterfly/rose thing. I dunno. They were beautiful.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #23 
ellafishcrazy

Unhappy Walmart....

Yeah...You can see where this is going...I went to Walmart for the first time in years a week or so ago. My mom was busy in another section, so I decided to go and see if they kept betta in the store. I was hoping they didn't, really really badly, but they must of had at least 50. And it was awful. I felt horrible for not putting one in a 2 gallon at the store for 5 bucks, plus some gravel and a decoration, under 10 bucks, but I'm still dealing with a divided 10 for my two boys, and heaters when it gets cold, so I couldn't take him... In case you couldn't tell, one caught my attention. He wasn't brightly colored or big. He was this tiny washed out halfmoon, but he had so much life in him. He keep swimming around in that tiny little cup. I felt awful. I never wanted to go to Walmart again. I can't wait, though. Once I get things, and after winter, I'm going to Walmart and getting one for sure. And at Petsmart the other day, I saw a cute pink male halfmoon. It was the cutest thing. But I knew I couldn't take him home, and somebosy else was, for sure. He was gorgeous!
ellafishcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #24 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlelia View Post
There's this white and purple big beautiful guy in this...-sigh- tractor supply shop...yes that's right you heard me correctly...they have this tiny pet area...
but anyway, I've been visiting him after work for a week. I don't have the area to give him right now...because I'm moving in a week...but I want him SO bad. If he's there still once I'm settled...he's MINE.
He's so hyper and big too. Like he was going to walk out of that bowl and take my purse. I dunno what type he really is honestly because I'm slightly dumb at fingering out betta types, but he was massive, shorter fins but male, very shiny, and his tails look sorta like a butterfly/rose thing. I dunno. They were beautiful.

Aw. . . if I lived near you I would take him 'til you got settled! I'm also no expert at betta types, but we all know what we like, right?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #25 
deso

When I went to buy Modi (the fish in my avatar), in the tank next to him was the most amazing green and white butterfly halfmoon male. He was truly green, not blue or aqua. I don't have any regrets because Modi is so unique, but that other fish sure was spectacular!
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #26 
lelei

This is just one that I had to let pass...
Attached Images

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #27 
cjz96

I went to AC Moore to look for yarn. I walked by the vases and something cought my eye. There was a vase with a plant on top of it. It's roots were in the water...with a ill blue betta in it! I was horrified! The betta had advanced fin rot and was having trouble breathing in the polluted water. I took the vase to the cashier to buy the betta when they told me the vase was not for sale. I offered them twice the amount for it...nope, they weren't going to give it up. I left the little blue betta to rot in the vase; his eyes drilling a hole through me. I can't seem to get that image out of my head. ):
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #28 
lelei

I would of ripped the flowers outvof the water toopen the top so the poor fishy culd breathe..then dmand to see a manager..and let them jnow what thee doing is cruelty to animals..and say well its broke now..so I have to buy it..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #29 
Koda

A while ago I went to the store to buy some stuff for my Kinu's tank and of course I just had to go look at their betta while I was there. This one red halfmoon stood out to me, and I almost took him home right then, but I really had no where to keep him :(
After going home without him I kept thinking about him when I realized....I had an empty 10 gallon tank!
This tank used to have a cage high rise attached to it and kept my gerbils, but they recently died (they were almost 6 years old, ancient in gerbil years). I had placed the tank out in the garage and completely forgot about it! So I cleaned it out, soaked it in hot water, scrubbed at the walls with an un-used sponge, soaked it again and again and set it up with dividers hoping to stock it with 3 betta boys. When I went back to that store hoping to get that red halfmoon, he was gone :( I had hoped he at least made it into a good home, but then I saw my Drogo and Derecho there who were both gorgeous so I took them both home. Unfortunately Derecho wasn't as healthy as he looked and died as I tried nursing him back to health, but Drogo thrived and now shares the 10 gallon with a blue crowntail named Kaito.
Now I'm stuck with resisting getting one more. I had decided to keep the 10 gallon divided only 2 ways, but I'm upgrading Kinu to a bigger tank so his 2.5 will be empty. Every time I step into the pet store I have to keep reminding myself that the 2.5 is going to be my quarantine tank for new plants or possible sick fishies and can't take home another betta.

Maybe when I can find myself a better job and can afford to move out of my dad's house I can get more aquariums and do some rescues (I've been inspired by some of the stories I see here).
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #30 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
I would of ripped the flowers outvof the water toopen the top so the poor fishy culd breathe..then dmand to see a manager..and let them jnow what thee doing is cruelty to animals..and say well its broke now..so I have to buy it..
Apparently the fish was the managers. I'm writing a complaint letter to the manager's boss.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote