Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 
Mppsu2003

Transporting tanks

We're going away for 2 weeks and taking our two 3 gallon betta to a friend's house to feed, take care of, etc. It's not a long drive, maybe 15 minutes or so. Any easy travel tips so that the fish aren't too bothered? I'm mainly concenred about the water being really disturbed during the trip.
Mppsu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 
Myates

Use the cups they came in to transport the fish and empty the 3 gallons.. and if you don't have the cups you can ask most Petsmart/Petcos for a couple spare ones and they usually give them out for free.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

do what Myates suggested, but be sure to keep your filter media in a baggie of old tank water, and your gravel still in tank, with just a little bit of water covering the surface of the gravel so you don't destroy your cycle and beneficial bacteria, otherwise you would have to restart the whole tank.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 
Mppsu2003

Thanks...but what good would emptying the 3 gallon tanks do? Wouldn't I have to refill them and let them cycle again? I've never done a full water change, only about 25-50% at a time. I can't leave them in the cups for two weeks...
Mppsu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 
Myates

A 3 gallon won't have the stable cycle a tank that is larger has.. the surface area is too small. So you don't have to worry too much about it as long as you do what Myrainbow suggested about keeping the media/gravel in the water it will keep the beneficial bacteria that has grown in those two areas.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote