Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #11 
Shadyr

Welcome, looks like you are in good hands already

Even if you think the temperature is OK, get a thermometer - cause then you will *know*. Water temp will usually be a few degrees cooler than the room. The heater isn't just to warm the water, it's also to keep the temperature from fluctuating as much. Constant temperature swings can be stressful. If you do suspect you'll need the heater, spend the extra if you can and get one where you can set the temperature.

2.5 seems to be a good betta size. My ... 5 now are in spaces ranging from 2.5G to ~3G, and they all seem pretty content.

When you pick one, pick a healthy looking one that seems to connect with you! Just like with other less aquatic critters, sometimes one will pick you

Good luck! Post pictures. We love pictures
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #12 
Rapunzzel

Thanks for all your help, guys. I've been doing so much research on tanks, I'm overwhelmed! haha. I may end up getting a 2 gallon because there is a really nice Fluval SPEC 2 gal that I like a lot. I'll have to read up on cycling and all that if I do decide to get it, as I believe it has a filter, which I guess I could decide not to use if I wanted to do 50%/100% water changes?

I wish I could show you all what my last betta, Petah, looked like (pronounced "Pee-tah", like Peter with a British accent ). I had pictures- some good ones too!- but I must have deleted them when he died. He was a really pretty veiltail- a deep bluish purple with streaks of red and lighter blue on his tail. I bought Theo much later, an aqua/green streaked veiltail, but he was part of the problem I think, as I believe he was sick when I bought him. I couldn't tell, but I think the vendor lied to me about it.

Anyway, I vow to do better this next time! And post pictures!
Rapunzzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #13 
Shadyr

If you get a long tailed type, you might want to just not even bother with the filter. In a small tank, pretty much most filters that will come with a kit are going to be pretty strong for a betta. Just means you'll need to do more water changes. My only tank with a filter is my 6.6 divided, and the filter side has a fairly noticable current, even with the intake dialed all the way down and the outflow stuffed with AQ sponge.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #14 
Rapunzzel

Well, I read on this thread? or another that you can get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Fishies...cr_dp_asin_lnk

to help with the filter? I didn't know if that would help in this case. Regardless, if a tank comes with a filter, I presume I don't even have to use it and can keep it out of the tank or....not turned on. Hmm
Rapunzzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

That helps control a air pump's current. I use a different valve but it's like that. I use it for my sponge filter in my 3.5 gallon, I think it's only for aerators and pumps. My sponge filter needs to use an air pump and airline tubing so I use a valve to control it. If your new tank comes with a filter, and it's too strong, you could just block the input or outflow with a sponge to baffle it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5 gallon tank, gravel, newbie owner, silk plants