Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #11 
Teambetta41299

Thank you so much!! I'll try that. I also think he might have swim bladder. He doesn't seem to always control where he's swimming... His bladder isn't swollen though... Anyways, thanks for the advice!! Oh, and by the way... He was eating before and just stopped. :(
Teambetta41299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #12 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambetta41299 View Post
Thank you so much!! I'll try that. I also think he might have swim bladder. He doesn't seem to always control where he's swimming... His bladder isn't swollen though... Anyways, thanks for the advice!! Oh, and by the way... He was eating before and just stopped. :(
Yeah, sometimes when they first get home they will eat, then freak us out by stopping. I have worried myself crazy with these guys sometimes. I really think they just need more time to settle in than we give them because we worry. One of my guys I had for two weeks and he wouldn't eat. I had tried a couple different hiding spots for him, and he finally calmed down and started eating when I put a fake log in his tank...he loves to be able to hide in it, and now he is eating..they are all so different! Again, don't worry about him eating right now, it won't hurt him to go a couple days without food..best to focus on his environment IMO.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #13 
Teambetta41299

Thanks! That does make sense... But what about his odd swimming? He is really stiff and seems like he can't get up to get air and then just shakes out of it and darts to the top and gulps his air??
Thanks again!!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #14 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambetta41299 View Post
Thanks! That does make sense... But what about his odd swimming? He is really stiff and seems like he can't get up to get air and then just shakes out of it and darts to the top and gulps his air??
Thanks again!!
I'm not so sure about the swimming. If you are concerned with that I would follow the other's advice on the Epsom Salt treatment. OldFishLady is the one to ask about that...she is really good and knows these fish! I'm pretty new at betta keeping, but I've heard that a lot of those medications they suggest at the pet store can really harm our fish, especially if we treat without knowing exactly what is the issue. I would also suggest in the new tank to not fill it all the way if he is having trouble swimming...lower water to halfway so he doesn't have as far to go for air.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #15 
Teambetta41299

Okay thank you!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #16 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
about velvet- keep your betta in the dark if it does have velvet (too lazy to read other posts) if your betta is in the dark, velvet will be easier to kill! and also, about the depression, if you want, you could get a goldfish for your betta to play with, most people have goldfish and bettas, but I think a bad choice would be tetras because bettas may attack and eat them (now I want to eat some tuna...)
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #17 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
the swimming could be swim bladder disorder btw, the bettas who have it recover soon, I forgot how many days it takes to go away
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #18 
Teambetta41299

Thumbs down

Hello guys, Titan passed today. :'( I think he had more wrong with him than I thought... He's in a better place now. R.i.p titan! And thanks for all your help guys!

Tags
diseases, sick, velvet