Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #1 
vP H O T O Nv

De-Icking Live Plants

Not sure if it belongs here, or in the medical section. I assume here.

Anyways, I haven't been able to find anything on how to get rid of ick from live plants I assume it is from 85*F temps but I don't really know myself. I got myself Bamboo from Petco a little while ago, put it in Delta's tank. Then he came down with ick. I assume that is where he got it from. I kept my water at about 85*F for about 8 days strait, even though it was gone by the 6th. I have added more fish to my tank since, none seem to be getting ick I think it's cleared compleatly.

Thing is on about the 5th day I noticed about 3 ick spots on Delta, not really thinking I took out a Bamboo from my tank and added it to the community tank. Without doing treatment on it which I should have asked for help. Well the sword tail ended up getting ick really bad. Killing him that day (stress from it) he was the only one so I didn't think much about it I Aq. Salted that tank thinking I could kill it. I also did a 100% W/C this last Sunday.

Tonight the 5 black skirt tetra's I had came down with it really really bad. 2 are already dead, one seems to be dying. The last 2 that seem the most active for being really inactive went strait the the Aq. Salt after I put it in. So they may make it.

I have already started the messures to killing it off in that tank, but I need to get it gone for good. Since the ONLY thing that could have really set off the ick would be that bamboo, and it's living I need to know how to get rid of it so if I make any future plant purchases, I know how to treat them.

* unrelated. None of the neon tetra's have gotten ick, and it has had 2 go around in that tank in the past 2ish weeks. Are they immune to it or could they just be a carrier?
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #2 
MSG

Did you QT your plants?

Plants need to be isolated as well for at least 2 weeks in case they have diseases & other nasty things in them.

You can't just put them in your active tank immediately and turn up the temperature slightly and hope that kills them, I don't think raising the temp does anything.

If it truly is ICH, turning up the temperature just makes the parasite leave the host fish, but unless the tank is medicated, I think you're doing more harm than good.

PTC keeps a lot of their plants with goldfish/fish/etc....

Their stuff definitely needs to be QTed.

Did you treat your entire 10G with AQ salt?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 
vP H O T O Nv

Yeah, I treated both tanks with Aq. Salt, and doing a 100% W/C right now, and from now on I will isolate the plants if I even get them again, I may just do bulbs, I like them a little more because they use more nitrate and ammonia to grow then a mature plant does..
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote