Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #1 
Shadyr

Hornwort care?

I love the look of hornwort, but either they get snapped up super fast or my LPS just rarely have them. At any rate, I was in Petco a week or so back and they had a very bedraggled looking one, so I bought it. It hasn't overtly croaked (yet) while in my quarantine bowl, but I'm wondering if there is anything beyond some leafzone and time that would spruce it up? I just let things float in QT, but I do have some spare sand that could be tossed in if anchoring it would make it happier, for instance...

Also, hey cool, they organized the forums a little better and added this one!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 
Laki

I didn't notice the section until you mentioned it!! cool :)
Last time I had hornwort it died. I hear it goes through cycles where it drops all its nettles and then grows them back but mine never did grow them back so I tossed it. I bought another one yesterday and added seachem flourish to it. Hopefully it will last long and hardy like they'r supposed to! I bet you can just drop in some aquatic plant fertilizer and it will be fine. They're listed among the most hardy beginner plants!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I love Hornwort and so does Perseus he sleeps in it. I put mine in a QT bowl of conditioned water for a week and would sit it outside during the day where it could get some sunlight, not in direct sun though. Since I have put it in the tank a couple of weeks ago it has done great ! Good luck with yours !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 
laoshun

hornwort does well in slightly colder waters.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I love hornwort for its ammonia-sink properties, but I've found it to be a bit touchy sometimes. It doesn't like soft water at all. The only way I've ever flat out killed the stuff was putting it in a tank with a dGH of below 4. This stuff like cichlid hard water. As far as lights and ferts, it doesn't seem to be picky about. I had a sprig sprout in a bucket of water I left in a dark hallway. I did notice an increase in growth when I started using fert, but I expect this with any plant.

I would actually leave the stuff floating. It makes a great shade plant.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote