Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 
labloverl

Taking pictures

I'm having a lot of trouble taking pictures of my bettas. I might get a good one that shows the color, but the face is usually just a solid colored shape. I've seen the thread by copperarabian (?) but I'm still having trouble with my point and shoot camera. I'm not sure if it's the lighting in my 10 gallon tank (which is 2 15w bulbs) or something else. I would probably have more luck with taking the fish out and putting them in clear containers in a window, but I don't have anything like that. Any ideas?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble taking pictures of my bettas. I might get a good one that shows the color, but the face is usually just a solid colored shape. I've seen the thread by copperarabian (?) but I'm still having trouble with my point and shoot camera. I'm not sure if it's the lighting in my 10 gallon tank (which is 2 15w bulbs) or something else. I would probably have more luck with taking the fish out and putting them in clear containers in a window, but I don't have anything like that. Any ideas?
Does the camera have a Macro setting? I find that this is crucial for catching fine detail on my camera.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
MSG

What make & model is your camera?

Not all cameras are the same quality. Macro is helpful for closeups, but unless your betta stops & stays still for 2-3 seconds, use the flash. That's another reason I am hesitant in buying darker/black finned fish. I find them much harder to photograph.

I'm pretty sure copper has a SLR
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #4 
Junglist

Sometimes when taking pictures of your fish requires some patients and practice once you start getting use to it you start to build your own technics. I use to get frustrated using my point & shoot till I did some research and practice outdoors close up.

For your Point & Shoot try switching your ISO to AUTO or 400-800 and choose what's best program settings you want like your Nightscene, Daylight, Portrait, Pets etc. All brand cameras are different have fun with your camera till you find the right settings
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

My favorite advice is to take LOTS of shots. If you're not spending as much time editing (deleting .... haha) as shooting, you're not taking enough pics.

More light will allow faster shutter speeds for crisper images. Add a side-light.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-10-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote