Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

aquarium salt?

okay sorry for creating yet another thread but i poked around and my exact Q's werent answered in the others so....

I noticed that Finn had a little ick looking "grain of salt dot" on his head (probably from when he jumped out of his tank last week ) so I decided to start a short salt treatment just to nip this possible ick in the bud...

So far I put the recommended amount for 5 gallons in his(5 gal) tank (dissolved first). So now what? 50% daily water changes with salt until treatment is over? Can't do 100% obviously because it's cycled....Or maybe every other day? Or just leave it until I want the salt out?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You were supposed to QT.... Salt doesn't evaporate and are you even sure it's Ich? There are supposed to be tons of those dots. Well, you were supposed to 100% changes every other day but since your tank is cycled... Just get him into QT and do the treatment there once you're SURE it's Ich. But just keep him in a small unmedicated tank for now. You should be trying to get rid of the salt in the tank for now.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

No I'm not sure it's ick because I don't have lab equipment to test that but it looked like it and why risk letting it get worse...
Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

It's not a 'Risk'. Ich is a parasite. It keeps multiplying and multiplying. It's Ich if there's more than 1 white dot. If it's only 1, it's not Ich. It's something else.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
It's not a 'Risk'. Ich is a parasite. It keeps multiplying and multiplying. It's Ich if there's more than 1 white dot. If it's only 1, it's not Ich. It's something else.
It is a "risk" that he is sick so I used aquarium salt as a preventative. If it isn't ick then he might have gotten injured from jumping out of his tank.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #6 
Bettafish

Whoot we go a good all argueing around here.

Just dont worry its probably from him jumping out. if he gets more of the dots start treatment again. no longer then 10days remember
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote