Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 
Kitty Whiskers

Exclamation New Female Betta not doing too well....

I was at Walmart looking for a new Betta to add to my 30 Gallon tank on my birthday and seen a Female that I liked (Fiesta) so I put her in my cart. Then I saw a poor Female Betta that was just laying on the bottom of her cup looking pale (Summer). She swims aound if you pick up her cup but soon settles back on the bottom. I decided to save her and bought her along with the other Female Betta that I picked out.

In the picture, Summer is the light blue Betta in front, Fiesta is the Pinkish Betta in the back.

When Summer breathes, her gills are visable going in and out of the gill covers with each breath she takes under water. She also goes to the surface to take a breath of air every 10 minutes or so. I have Summer in her cup still with new water that I added 2 teaspoons of Epsom Salt to 1 Gallon of Spring water with Stress Coat mixed in. I change it every day. She still will not eat. I tried 2 different kinds of Betta flakes yesterday and micro Betta pellets today, but she is not interested. She swims around a little bit today, but that may be just because I bothered her by taking pictures of her and Fiesta today.

Do you think she will be OK? What else can I do for her?
Attached Images

Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #2 
ihatefirewalls

Both the visible gills and surface breathing are normal.

Bettas have "beards" folded behind their gills which are noticable on some bettas when they breathe. Also, bettas have a labyrinth organ which allows them to take up and breathe air from the surface.

I also wouldn't be too worried about Summer not eating unless it lasts for over a week. Bettas can be picky eaters and she may just be stressed. Warmer temps and different foods may help. Soaking pellets in garlic juice is supposed to make it more palatable.

IMO the epsom salt was unnecessary unless you suspect bloating or internal disease.

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 08-03-2012 at 05:11 PM.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 
Maura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefirewalls View Post
IMO the epsom salt was unnecessary unless you suspect bloating or internal disease.
Yep. Epsom salt for internal problems. Aquarium salt for external problems.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 
Kitty Whiskers

After a week of not eating, Summer has died :( Fiesta however has been added to the 30 gallon tank after her quarantine.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote