Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 
Philnominal

My Betta Is Having A Major Problem.

Actually it is my mom's betta. She found it this morning with a dead oto (just got the otos so not to unexpected about the oto). One of its fins seems to be missing and almost it's entire side (same side as the missing pectoral fin) seems to be completely discolored and looking brown. It was fine last night before we went to bed so does anyone have any idea on what this could be? As four housing he has had a 5 gallon hex all to himself with the exception of the otos which were just introduced and some mts/pond/assassin snails.

(His eye is a known problem we have never been able to get away despite what we have used to treat it in the past.)

Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #2 
SpookyTooth

Would you be able to fill this in, please? It'll help us take a closer look at the fish's situation and should help us figure out what might be going on.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

MaintenanceHow often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Does your mother's fish have any issues swimming? Has his behaviour changed at all? That discolouration is really concerning me. There is a "mystery disease" that seems to occur with blue bettas like yours and the bizarre colouration that has appeared is making me think of it. The link to the topic about the mystery disease is here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

It may be worth sending Sakura8 a PM (I hope they don't mind me saying so...) and asking for them to take a look at the photo. I hope we can figure this out! Good luck to you and the fish
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #3 
Philnominal

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gallon Hexagon
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, guarded by a sponge on the intake
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? If live plants count.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 Otos, but they were recently introduced.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Betta food and the occasional frozen blood worm or brine shrimp treat
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times daily

MaintenanceHow often do you perform a water change? Every other week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.6
Hardness: Not sure
Alkalinity: Not Sure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, It has discolored it's scales on one side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Barely swimming now, appears to not be wanting to move his main body.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning, He was fine last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not other then pulling him out and letting him rest out of the (very minimal) filter current.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has had what appears to be cloud eye from the day we got him, but it has never appeared to affect him and hasn't gone away though countless attempted to treat him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? We have had him for less then a year, probably about 8 months.

Last edited by Philnominal; 08-11-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi Philominal. :( I'm afraid this looks like our so-called mystery disease at work. If he is still hanging in there, you can try to treat him with a good antibiotic. Seachem Kanaplex if you happen to have it would be ideal but API Furan-2 would be a next best choice. I'm so sorry about this. Unfortunately, the survival rate of this disease is pretty much 0.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 
Philnominal

Well he passed away today. Thank you for your help. We didn't have either of those currently on hand.

I have three questions.

Does it tend to be contagious?

What should I do to the tank to make it safe for use in the future?

I saw on the thread that people are looking for specimens. If it would be useful are they still needed?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Philominal, no, as far as we can tell, it isn't contagious. Still, you probably want to clean the tank well with hot water and vinegar. And finally, yes, we could still use specimens but only if it's practical for you. I certainly realize trying to ship a betta body can be hard.

I'm so sorry for you and your mom's loss. :(
Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #7 
Philnominal

Alright, so the remaining two otos, the assassins snails, and plants would be ok to put in another tank? If not i have a 10 gallon I could set up as a temporary QT tank.

How would I go about getting the him to someone that would be able to use him as a specimen?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yes, they would be fine. Other species of fish aren't affected by this as far as we know.

You can ship him to me or to DarkMoon17. Costs can be covered if you have Paypal. In the meanwhile, if you want to do go ahead and do this, you'd have to find some formaldehyde to preserve the body.