Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #11 
lvandert

its not a bathing thing, its like regular aq salt, just slowly introduce the water into the tank (25% at a time). This technique would work if he was simply bloated, for this to work for internal parasites he needs to be in it all day/night. With this I also recommend 50%-100% daily water changes.

edit: it'll also take a few days to start to kill of the worms and then a few more to pass them. Treat for a t least a week and see how he is in a week.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #12 
kyasarin5

I put Alpha in a 5 gallon hospital tank this morning. I added 1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt before putting Alpha in. I slowly brought temp up from 84 to 86 degrees. I fed him 3 room temp dethawed frozen brine shrimp. I also added Maracyn II this morning. Tonight I added Maracyn I and now I am slowly adding more epsom salt so it will be a total of 2 tsp per gallon. No poop today. :( He is a little bit more bloated. I shined a light at his belly and it looks like it is filled with clear fluid. :( What do you think? Any advice you could give me I will be grateful for. I don't want to lose him. I love Alpha. I am worried that I could have caused kidney failure from using 1 tbsp of aquarium salt per 5 gallons the first 6 months I had him. I didn't know it would cause organ damage until now.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #13 
kyasarin5

Here is a video I took of him this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNY10...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Hi kyasarin. Alpha sure is a handsome boy. He doesn't look too bloated in the video so I think we can easily treat him for his internal parasites.

First, let's go ahead and stop the Maracyn combo for now. Maracyn I and II are both antibiotics and won't have an effect on his parasite problem. Also, both Maracyns can cause additional kidney damage so it's best not to use them unless absolutely necessary.

Give him one day of water with no medicines and just epsom salt. Then, on Monday, you can start him on a course of API General Cure. This is an anti-parasite med that contains metronidazole, which is effective against internal parasites.

Other than his stringy poo, Alpha's behavior looks very good. He is actively swimming in the video and his fins are full and healthy, not clamped up. And he is eating, which is also good. Continue to feed him frozen brine shrimp, it is a good food because of its fiber content.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #15 
kyasarin5

Thank you so much!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #16 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Aw, it looks like a nice environment for him that you made. I hope he gets better soon. FYI I used epsom salt on my little guy Nimbus who I got with swim bladder disorder, nothing bad happened from the epsom salt. (You just can't buy like. . "Lavender scented" for bathing.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #17 
kyasarin5

He has been on Tetra Parasite Guard for the past 4 days with 48 hours between doses. Will it hurt to do metronidazole again? He never pooped any worms, he has just had some mucous in his stool and coming from his gills. The mucous coming from his gills has gotten better today.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #18 
kyasarin5

Who is the fish in your avatar photo mursey? He is very pretty!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #19 
Sakura8

The mucous from his gills is probably a bit of excess slime coat. Could also be an indicator that he has a mild case of gill flukes as well.

Parasite Guard are the fizzy tabs, right? Or is that Jungle Labs? Either way, you can give him that day without medicine and then try with the General Cure. OR, if you are uncomfortable using medication on him again so soon after the Parasite Guard, you can just up his epsom salt dosage to 3 tsps per gallon for a few days and see if that helps. Epsom salt is a laxative/diuretic and isn't even a salt, it's magnesium sulfate. We humans use it as a muscle soak or as a laxative. Unlike regular aquarium salt, which is definitely salt (taste it, mmm, salty!), epsom salt can be used indefinitely with no negative effects.

It's up to you which treatment plan you're more comfortable pursuing. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 AM   #20 
kyasarin5

Yep it is fizzy tabs. I will go with your plan. Tomorrow I will do a 100 percent water change and just add 2 tsp. of epsom salt per gallon. I just want him to feel better. Then on Monday I will start the course of API General Cure. I really really appreciate your help! Thank you!

Tags
bloated betta male, ich, parasite