Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #1 
KevinPham123

Epsom Salt and Aquarium Salt.

I have never used them together and have never told anyone else to. Just wanted to know what it can do and how bad can it be?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 
LittleWatty

I'm really curious too. I have used them together, but the ES was really really dilute (1/4 tsp in 3 gallons) compared to the AQ alt (1tsp/gal). I only did it for one day, because my boy was constipated. I did a 100% water change the next day to get rid of the ES because the constipation passed.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 
goldfishyman

Epson salt seems to be like a muscle relaxer and help reduce inflammation. Sodium chloride, salt, works with fresh water fish as a treatment because it helps with irregular osmotic pressures which can help relieve some weak organs of the fish till it can recover from illness or injury. Also some bacteria and parasites are not adaptable to the sudden change in salinity and die off.

Problems can occur with too much or too long of an exposure to sodium chloride, salt. In some fresh water fish that are not tolerant to salt, it can cause kidney failure if used too long and thus give you the dreaded pinecone aka dropsy symptoms and in higher concentration it can cause burns to the gills and cause death.

As for epsom salt, it contains magnesium perhaps in too high of a dosage the muscles will relax to much and perhaps stop functioning. In any case it seems to be toxic if too much is used.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #4 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
I'm really curious too. I have used them together, but the ES was really really dilute (1/4 tsp in 3 gallons) compared to the AQ alt (1tsp/gal). I only did it for one day, because my boy was constipated. I did a 100% water change the next day to get rid of the ES because the constipation passed.
I guess very small amounts of either one of them might not be as bad. Your betta is fine now?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #5 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Epson salt seems to be like a muscle relaxer and help reduce inflammation. Sodium chloride, salt, works with fresh water fish as a treatment because it helps with irregular osmotic pressures which can help relieve some weak organs of the fish till it can recover from illness or injury. Also some bacteria and parasites are not adaptable to the sudden change in salinity and die off.

Problems can occur with too much or too long of an exposure to sodium chloride, salt. In some fresh water fish that are not tolerant to salt, it can cause kidney failure if used too long and thus give you the dreaded pinecone aka dropsy symptoms and in higher concentration it can cause burns to the gills and cause death.

As for epsom salt, it contains magnesium perhaps in too high of a dosage the muscles will relax to much and perhaps stop functioning. In any case it seems to be toxic if too much is used.
Nice breakdown.

He was talking about 'AQ salt' for the third paragraph for people wondering .

It seems mixing the two salts together will basically double your bettas chance of death by the looks of it.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #6 
LittleWatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
I guess very small amounts of either one of them might not be as bad. Your betta is fine now?
Yeah, he's perfectly fine XD Very active, and my healthiest fish. But, he wasn't exposed to both salts for even 24 hours, and the ES was a very low dose. Good to know in the future, though, that both together can cause death.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #7 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
Yeah, he's perfectly fine XD Very active, and my healthiest fish. But, he wasn't exposed to both salts for even 24 hours, and the ES was a very low dose. Good to know in the future, though, that both together can cause death.
Yep