Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #11 
MSG

You can always tie plants to the coral. I know my girls would get themselves pretzeled into the coral somehow.

I'm pretty sure coral is all minerals, but you can always try to prove people wrong. I have a small piece of coral outside, but it's crumbling, so it's going to be use for gardening purposes.

Surprised you didn't consider really nice decorative pieces of driftwood instead. You must see a lot of really nice pieces when you're out in the water/forest.

Coral comes in black?

Divider is plexiglass that you had cut & drilled?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #12 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
You can always tie plants to the coral. I know my girls would get themselves pretzeled into the coral somehow.

I'm pretty sure coral is all minerals, but you can always try to prove people wrong. I have a small piece of coral outside, but it's crumbling, so it's going to be use for gardening purposes.

Surprised you didn't consider really nice decorative pieces of driftwood instead. You must see a lot of really nice pieces when you're out in the water/forest.

Coral comes in black?

Divider is plexiglass that you had cut & drilled?
I could be completely wrong about the coral...it might even be fake. Looks real enough. A friend of the family tore down their tank a month or so ago because they are moving and they gave all their decorations to my parents who in turn gave it to me. It might even be some sort of plaster or concrete. I considered driftwood...but I wanted to try something different. I live within walking distance of the Ohio river so so I see LOTS of driftwood..I have some in other tanks and I even have a bunch in my yard as decorations...I wanted to try something different. I was looking at the tank last night and actually had a couple of more ideas I want to try...so I have a feeling by the end of the day its gonna be different. Though I still wanna keep the black and white theme.
Yes.. The divider is plexiglas...well actually it's Lexan. I have a 5 foot by 5 foot sheet of GE mr10 Lexan that I found in the ceiling of my garage....It's often used to make windshields for motorcycles and ATVs.. I've been using it to make hoods for my aquariums and decided it would make a good divider. I cut it out to fit the tank{It is NOT easy to cut} and then drilled holes that are 3/8" {to small for bettas to even try to swim through} I drilled them spaced 1" apart...so I had to drill probably 100+ holes in it. I didn't want to permanently attach the divder to the tank so I cut notches in the frame of the aquarium so the divider just slides in and then the substrate keeps the divider from moving side to side at the bottom. I guess I was a little off when I cut it, because there is a small gap at the very top of the divider in the back...it's to small for anything to swim past it..but I wedged a flat rock in there just incase...I may block it off with a heater or the filter.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #13 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAustin View Post
table salt as a substrate? not sure about that one..
Was a joke. I'm pretty sure if that was real table salt it would of been the most expensive substrate in the world..not to mention it would likely kill everything I put in there.
It's just plain ole white sand.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #14 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Does coral change the ph like a shell would? I only ask because I am always wishing I could LOWER my ph for the bettas, I wonder if coral is a good idea? Anyone know?
I guess I could actually test that! I'll find out today if it is indeed real coral {I'll take some pics of the big pieces and see if anyone here can ID it. I can put some water in a two tubs or buckets.. check the PH of both tomorrow then add the coral to one of the buckets and check the PH of both the buckets the next day and see if the one with the coral in it has changed.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #15 
CallmeAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Was a joke. I'm pretty sure if that was real table salt it would of been the most expensive substrate in the world..not to mention it would likely kill everything I put in there.
It's just plain ole white sand.
Sorry :P Nice looking aquarium though! Like the white and black transition.
CallmeAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #16 
Relic

Ok it's done. Water added..conditioner added. Put some media from the other tank in the filter and will hopefully be ready for a couple bettas in a week or so. Told ya the decor would change before the day was out lol
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #17 
BettaQi

It looks greats, design star!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #18 
MistersMom

it still looks fantastiC! :D
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #19 
FishHERO27

Haha very nice love the tank!