Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: MULTIPLE CHOICE Poll! Help me design my divided tank!
betta: Halfmoon 1 12.50%
betta: Plakat 1 12.50%
betta: Crowntail 0 0%
look of tank: Natural 1 12.50%
look of tank: CrAzY!! or OTHER (Please Post to Specify) 0 0%
best food: NLS Betta Pellets 3 37.50%
best food: Hikari Bio Gold 1 12.50%
gravel? 0 0%
sand? (i have never had sand) 1 12.50%
Colorful, or natural? 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Question What do you think about this filter for a divided tank?(Sponge)

Hey everybody!

Finally found what looks like a really nice sponge filter for cheap!
Just wanted to get your second opinion on this.

filter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A12IPMVN62L4AI

Some info and questions:

-Is going to be in a triple-divided 10 gallon tank- so that means >betta>heater and filter>betta

- I REALLY don't want a protein film, would the air pump bubbles keep the surface from being stagnant and give enough movement that i wouldn't develop a protein film?
-
-What is the best air pump, IYO?

-How do air pumps work? (I have never had anything in my tank besides a HOB filter and submersible heater). How much airline tubing will i need? What types of valves?

WHAT SHOULD I MAKE THE DIVIDER OUT OF? I want something that won't make my bettas visible to each other, while keeping adequate water flow and minimizing stress and tail-biting.

SOME DECOR AND TAIL_TYPE PREFRENCES WILL BE IN MY POLL, IT IS MULTIPLE CHOICE!

help me decide how my divided tank should look!

Thanks again everybody!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

WOOPS!!!! I forgot to click multiple choice, DARN IT!

SO, just pick the one thing you REALLY want to see in my tank, and then if you would like, post the rest :)

Sorry about that!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 
starrlamia

I REALLY don't want a protein film, would the air pump bubbles keep the surface from being stagnant and give enough movement that i wouldn't develop a protein film?
-
-What is the best air pump, IYO?- i would go brand name, but they are pretty much all the same, for a sponge filter it doesnt even matter if it is adjustable or not, im not sure if it would be enough movement to keep away a protein film, they are pretty low key. Even the giant one I put into my 20l is barely moving the water

-How do air pumps work? (I have never had anything in my tank besides a HOB filter and submersible heater). How much airline tubing will i need? What types of valves?
they just pump air through the airline tubing and into whatever they are attach too, how much tubing you need depends on where you put the airpump, but you probably wont need too much, make sure to get a check valve in the pump will be below the water line in your aquarium, it ensures no water can back up into the pump (for example mine is next to the tank on the table). Not sure you will need any other valves then that. Though if you want you can buy a pump that you can attach two lines too, or get a splitter, and have an airstone and filter going to move the water around more.

WHAT SHOULD I MAKE THE DIVIDER OUT OF? I want something that won't make my bettas visible to each other, while keeping adequate water flow and minimizing stress and tail-biting.
maybe a black mesh? or two layers of plastic mesh to minimize the see througheyness (totally made that word up)

as for your poll, I would get two nice hmpks, but the decor is totally up to you, my 10g divided is gravel based with neon coloured plants lol, whereas my 20l is planted with sand/soil and way more natural looking.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
I REALLY don't want a protein film, would the air pump bubbles keep the surface from being stagnant and give enough movement that i wouldn't develop a protein film?
-
-What is the best air pump, IYO?- i would go brand name, but they are pretty much all the same, for a sponge filter it doesnt even matter if it is adjustable or not, im not sure if it would be enough movement to keep away a protein film, they are pretty low key. Even the giant one I put into my 20l is barely moving the water

they just pump air through the airline tubing and into whatever they are attach too, how much tubing you need depends on where you put the airpump, but you probably wont need too much, make sure to get a check valve in the pump will be below the water line in your aquarium, it ensures no water can back up into the pump (for example mine is next to the tank on the table). Not sure you will need any other valves then that. Though if you want you can buy a pump that you can attach two lines too, or get a splitter, and have an airstone and filter going to move the water around more.

maybe a black mesh? or two layers of plastic mesh to minimize the see througheyness (totally made that word up)

as for your poll, I would get two nice hmpks, but the decor is totally up to you, my 10g divided is gravel based with neon coloured plants lol, whereas my 20l is planted with sand/soil and way more natural looking.

This was ALOT of help to me, and i REALLY appreciate it! Thanks for helping make my future divided tank a success !

I think i will go with a small airstone on each side, what do you think about that? Will my bettas be okay with the subtle current? Any airstones you recommend?
Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 
starrlamia

Any time!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

XD Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

- I REALLY don't want a protein film, would the air pump bubbles keep the surface from being stagnant and give enough movement that i wouldn't develop a protein film?
Yep. It'll prevent the protein film. My sponge filter makes sure it never comes back. ;)

Top Fin Mini Air Pump. I have it and it's perfect for a 10 gallon. I use a 3.5 gallon so I use a airline valve to control the pressure. It should be strong enough for a 10 gallon.

You just connect the tubing to the pump and at the other end of the tubing, connect it with the filter. On the pump and you're good to go. :) get as much as you want. You might want extra tubing since the current will get dirty.

I think craft mesh and dividers are the best homemade divider. I have no IDEA how to make them, though. :S

Sorry. I used the way Starr answered but I have different answers. :) I need to use this way of replying another time. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 
SpookyTooth

Sponge filters are absolutely fantastic. Air pumps usually come with different ratings (Tetra have Tetra50, Tetra100, Tetra200 etc) and each rating indicates how much power and air the pump provides. If you have a good read into a specific brand you should be able to determine if it's suited for your size tank.

Most air pumps come with an air control valve but some require you to purchase them seperately - definitely buy one if yours doesn't come with one! They'll reduce the air flow produced by the pump by blocking it which is great as it gives you complete control over how many bubbles your sponge filter will produce, it'll also stop a loud whistling that can occur in an uncontrolled air pump (learned from experience). Another valve you'll need is a check valve (also known as a non-return valve), it stops water being drawn into the air pump thus shortening its lifespan considerably. Most check valves explain how they are fitted but if you have any doubts then blow into the check valve and see which way the air comes out and fit it accordingly.

I personally recommend the Tetra series of air pumps (if they are available over there... http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77851-Wh...=Tetra+airpump seems like it would be suitable) and I have the exact same sponge filter! They are awesome! The dual sponge really allows for a lot of beneficial bacteria to establish.

Always get more airline tubing than you think you'll need - it's better to have too much than too little. I think they come in packs of around five or six metres, depending on brand. Some types of air tubing here in the UK help reduce noise created by the air pump (which should be minimal if you position it correctly) so if you can find silicone airline tubing that'd be ideal.

The set up of your air pump should be something like the following (though the check and air control valves positioning is down to personal taste and the arrows signify the airline tubing):

AIR PUMP -----> AIR CONTROL VALVE -----> CHECK VALVE -----> FILTER

If the air flow on your sponge filter is high enough you should reduce the chances of a protein film occuring but in a 10gallon that may prove a little difficult in some areas. If you wish to attach an air stone to your air pump you'll need to fit a T junction (usually bought in packs of six junctions: two Ts, two right angles and two straights). Make sure your T junction is placed after the check valve, you can then run air line from the T junction at both places to your filter then your air stone.

I think it's better to stick to one brand when it comes to air pumps, air line and accessories as they all are designed to fit a specific air tube size which can offer a tighter seal and reduce air escaping.

As for dividers I don't honestly know Sorry!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Yep. It'll prevent the protein film. My sponge filter makes sure it never comes back. ;)

Top Fin Mini Air Pump. I have it and it's perfect for a 10 gallon. I use a 3.5 gallon so I use a airline valve to control the pressure. It should be strong enough for a 10 gallon.

You just connect the tubing to the pump and at the other end of the tubing, connect it with the filter. On the pump and you're good to go. :) get as much as you want. You might want extra tubing since the current will get dirty.

I think craft mesh and dividers are the best homemade divider. I have no IDEA how to make them, though. :S

Sorry. I used the way Starr answered but I have different answers. :) I need to use this way of replying another time. :)
Thanks so much! I REALLY am liking this sponge filter and airstone idea!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Sponge filters are absolutely fantastic. Air pumps usually come with different ratings (Tetra have Tetra50, Tetra100, Tetra200 etc) and each rating indicates how much power and air the pump provides. If you have a good read into a specific brand you should be able to determine if it's suited for your size tank.

Most air pumps come with an air control valve but some require you to purchase them seperately - definitely buy one if yours doesn't come with one! They'll reduce the air flow produced by the pump by blocking it which is great as it gives you complete control over how many bubbles your sponge filter will produce, it'll also stop a loud whistling that can occur in an uncontrolled air pump (learned from experience). Another valve you'll need is a check valve (also known as a non-return valve), it stops water being drawn into the air pump thus shortening its lifespan considerably. Most check valves explain how they are fitted but if you have any doubts then blow into the check valve and see which way the air comes out and fit it accordingly.

I personally recommend the Tetra series of air pumps (if they are available over there... http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77851-Wh...=Tetra+airpump seems like it would be suitable) and I have the exact same sponge filter! They are awesome! The dual sponge really allows for a lot of beneficial bacteria to establish.

Always get more airline tubing than you think you'll need - it's better to have too much than too little. I think they come in packs of around five or six metres, depending on brand. Some types of air tubing here in the UK help reduce noise created by the air pump (which should be minimal if you position it correctly) so if you can find silicone airline tubing that'd be ideal.

The set up of your air pump should be something like the following (though the check and air control valves positioning is down to personal taste and the arrows signify the airline tubing):

AIR PUMP -----> AIR CONTROL VALVE -----> CHECK VALVE -----> FILTER

If the air flow on your sponge filter is high enough you should reduce the chances of a protein film occuring but in a 10gallon that may prove a little difficult in some areas. If you wish to attach an air stone to your air pump you'll need to fit a T junction (usually bought in packs of six junctions: two Ts, two right angles and two straights). Make sure your T junction is placed after the check valve, you can then run air line from the T junction at both places to your filter then your air stone.

I think it's better to stick to one brand when it comes to air pumps, air line and accessories as they all are designed to fit a specific air tube size which can offer a tighter seal and reduce air escaping.

As for dividers I don't honestly know Sorry!
THANK YOU SO MUCH! You really broadened my understanding on this topic, Spooky Tooth!

Tags
10 gallon, divided, sponge filter