Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #1 
angmoh

Bio-filtration for a betta fish tank.

I have a 1.5L betta tank with some floating plants.

I'm thinking to add some bio-rings/ceramic rings (smooth surface) to the bottom of the tank, to culture bacteria.

Do you guys think this is helpful or is redundant ? Anyone of you doing so?
angmoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 
clopez1

It'll be hard to keep a cycle in a tank that size.,I would think you'd also need a filter or at least an airpump and stone to get some circulation in order to grow bacteria.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #3 
SpookyTooth

By 1.5L do you mean 1.5 litre? A tank of that size would be unable to hold enough media to create a stable cycle nor be able to provide enough oxygen for decent bacteria production (I also personally feel it is far too small for a betta, is there any chance at all you may be able to upgrade? It'd allow enough space for both a heater and some bio media to offer biological filtration). If you mean 1.5L as in a 1.5 gallon long then it may be possible but I've never dealt with a tank that size and therefore can't really give you any definitive answer, sorry. I hope someone with more experience in smaller tanks may be able to offer you some information!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

While it is possible to cycle smaller tanks, it is usually recommended that beginners do not attempt to cycle anything smaller than 5 gallons.

A 1.5 litre tank is unsuitable for Betta. A 1.5 gallon tank should have the water changed every third day or when needed to keep ammonia below 0.25ppm as determined by testing.

Please read the stickies on Betta care.

Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by angmoh View Post
I have a 1.5L betta tank with some floating plants.

I'm thinking to add some bio-rings/ceramic rings (smooth surface) to the bottom of the tank, to culture bacteria.

Do you guys think this is helpful or is redundant ? Anyone of you doing so?
your "tank" WON'T cycle because it IMO, is WAY, WAY too small for any living organism. You are better off upgrading to a bigger tank of at least 2.5 gallons with heater and filter if you can
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 
Aus

You could keep a couple of shrimp in there without too much hassle, if you had an airstone.

Not to add to the pile-up of opinion here, but you're going to have a sick fish really soon if you don't change the water every day, which is stressful on the fish - and you as well.

I've successfully cycled a 3.5 gallon tank and kept it stable for six months by planting it heavily and watching the water chemistry carefully, testing it regularly and adjusting the water change schedule when necessary - and I am pretty much a beginner at fish keeping. It's just a matter of being conscientious and not looking for the easy/lazy way out of taking care of things.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
...you're going to have a sick fish really soon if you don't change the water every day,...
Yeah, I agree. I just can't bring myself to suggest that. People already think I'm too persnickety. ;-}
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #8 
Basement Bettas

When we "breeders" keep fish in beanies.. small containers like what you are suggesting.. we do DAILY 90% water changes and have heated fish rooms. Temps must be around 84* to have a water temp of 80*. You can't blow it off or leave for a weekend or your water conditions will deteriorate and you are asking for burned gills, fungs and if cool temps velvet. Better off getting a 5gal tank, add some decor and take the time to establish good boilogical filtration. That is not done over night. Need a few months and you have to stay on top of it. If the only option you have is that small a container and you are not willing to keep it warm and commit to 1-1.5 years of daily water changes.. don't by the fish.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote