Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #1 
Catie79

My betta ate a zuchinni seed. o.O

I was tossing in blanched veggies for the otos and ghosties. My HM male Fly likes to investigate the veggies when they're added and may even steal a bite, but it's usually just passing interest on a new thing that's in his territory.

I happened to be watching today when he swam over to the newly arrived veggies, popped out a seed that had to be half the size of his head, and swallowed it down.

I know there's really nothing I can do at this point, he's swallowed it, but is there any chance at all that his body is going to be able to do anything with that? It's blanched, so at least it's soft. I thought the veggie slices were going to be my answer to his habit of eating anything I try to feed to the other residents of the tank, they'd been working so well . . .
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
I was tossing in blanched veggies for the otos and ghosties. My HM male Fly likes to investigate the veggies when they're added and may even steal a bite, but it's usually just passing interest on a new thing that's in his territory.

I happened to be watching today when he swam over to the newly arrived veggies, popped out a seed that had to be half the size of his head, and swallowed it down.

I know there's really nothing I can do at this point, he's swallowed it, but is there any chance at all that his body is going to be able to do anything with that? It's blanched, so at least it's soft. I thought the veggie slices were going to be my answer to his habit of eating anything I try to feed to the other residents of the tank, they'd been working so well . . .
I doubt there's anything to worry about, I'm sure his digestive system will break it down. I always remove the seeds from cucumbers & zucchini before I put them in the tank not because of my Bettas but there's less mess, not sure my nails & CAE's would eat the seeds.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #3 
Catie79

I don't know if it's related, but I think I have a bigger issue now. I came home and somehow, I have no idea how, he got himself wedged under a rock in his tank. One pectoral fin isn't working right, I think at least one eye is damaged, and he's lost scales on his head. He's resting on the wisteria at the top of the tank and not moving, just breathing. I'm going to turn up the temp and get him in some very clean water and hope for the best.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Oh wow, probably not related. I had the same thing happen with Simon, fortunately he didn't get injured. I don't know about raising the temp but definitely clean water.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 
Catie79

You're right, it's probably not related, but what a day. I swear this fish has made it his mission to set off my ulcer. As of right now, he's active and the damaged pec fin is starting to move again.

I was just turning the temp up a degree or two, since I usually keep the temps at 78 or so to keep the other tank occupants happy.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #6 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
I'm thinking you should go on a good, professional site like seriouslyfish and contact them and tell them what happened to your betta, I wanted to try to help, but I didn't know anything to help so I think you should contact the betta experts!

(this thread makes me hungry XD)
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #7 
Catie79

Good news! Fly has made a full recovery. The eye is clear and the pec fin is working again. Aside from the healing scrape on his head, you wouldn't be able to tell that he had a run in with my rocks. They really are resilient little critters.

The rocks have been rearranged so that he can't wiggle himself underneath them again.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

GREAT to hear he's doing so well. Keep up the water changes so he stays healthy!!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #9 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
so happy for your betta being better!

*appausle (typo?) sound track*
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote