Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 
cjconcepcion

Ghost Shrimp?

I bought 3 of these little guys today. Originally i had planned on adding them to my fry tank to help keep it clean, since theres like 30 little guys constantly pooping in there. But then i was told the shrimp would eat the fry. I want to try adding them to my sorority tank now, what would be the best way to do this? what would reduce the chances of them getting eaten? and would the girls get used to them after a while?
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 
laoshun

Initially when added they might chase them but if there is enough cover your shrimp should be perfectly fine. You could even add more if you wanted to.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 
cjconcepcion

okay, i dumped them in, after i had distracted the girls, theyre all huddled under this big plastic plant :P i think theyll be fine :) will the girls eventually get used to their presence and leave them alone?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #4 
Pogthefish

Yeah, but you will probably lose a few. I would recommend more, also, they do not eat poop, lol :P
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #5 
Mo

They eat excess food that the fry leave around, go to aquadome or aquatech. They have cherry shrimp which are good substitutes for ghost shrimp in a fry tank
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

Why will the shrimp eat fry?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Because they're always hungry. When I went to Petsmart, there was a Ghostie eating a Zebra Danio. ._.
CJ, look at the shrimps' heads. I've heard from someone that there can be parasites in there. Which can spread to the fry. D:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #8 
LittleWatty

I've had more shrimp fatalities because of other shrimp XD I've had them kill each other, and then try to eat the corpse, while Sonas hasn't touched any of them. Chase, yes. Eat, no. But, this is just one story. There's so many different personalities with the fish, that one of your girls might take a liking to a shrimp dinner. I like them, and they're cheap.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #9 
cjconcepcion

well i put them in there. all 3 are alive, they were being chased around alot for a while. but i guess they got boring so the girls are leaving them alone :p
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #10 
MSG

You should start growing CRS. Much safer than GS and you can have a nice self sustaining CRS colony in about 1-2months if you keep a shrimp only tank.

Would be cool to add some SMALLER shrimp to the fry tank & make a little video of them chasing one another.

I should have bought a half dozen GS today, but I know they wouldn't last more than 2 hours before there's just pieces of them left.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote