Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #41 
LittleBettaFish

My Thailand ones have proved just as resilient as my pet store ones. I actually have had more deaths amongst my pet store ones than my imported fish.

I also don't acclimatise anything. It's just out of the bag and into my tank. Never lost a fish, not even the imported ones, so they're not as fragile as people might think.

Only one of my imports turned out to be a tail biter, whereas most of my more poorly bred HMs really used to go to town on themselves.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #42 
Sena Hansler

I wouldn't know my fish were fine when we drove from edmonton (with them) home... which took like an hour and some :3 that's the most I know xD only Red had a problem since he was a "that day" new shipment, and it was mild SBD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #43 
Sivan

I just had to put down the "But my betta lived for X amount of years under these conditons and was fine!" argument for betta vases. Ugh.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #44 
MadameDesu

For that one, I like to use the following analogy:
Imagine that you had to live in gas station bathroom stall for your entire life. You'd get fed every day, sure, and have the toilet flushed and bathroom cleaned once a month.
It's conceivable that you could survive all those years. So why don't you live there? It'd be much cheaper after all.

(See the analogy? )
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #45 
Sena Hansler

yeah, I'v dealt with goldies in bowls. "well he is like...5...." my argument: yeah and he is supposed to be a foot long, and 10-20 years old I had a betta in a bowl (Mister) and I had him until he was about 6-7... But I bet he would've lived awesomely if I got him better stuff lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #46 
JessSH

Great thread! I went to my local store yeaterday that treats their animals very humanely. They keep all their bettas in 10 gallon minimum community tanks that are not overstocked. A male customer was yelling at a staff member, then the owner because he was trying to buy his 3rd betta this week cause the other 2 had died & they refused to sell him anymore until he got some information on how to properly care for them. They ended up having to banning him from the store. As he walked out he shouted it's just a fish, well, that's the censored version anyways. lol It made me so mad! I bet he would never say that about a cat or dog. Love my pet store though! Told them that was exactly why I always tried to buy from them. :)

Last edited by JessSH; 07-05-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: spelling
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #47 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It annoys me when people say fish are decorations I love fish and other invertebrates I will not eat any water life in the wild most bettas only survive 1 year at best a few live for years and in captivity if properly cared for can live 7-8 years I read the world record holder for goldfish lived 43 years in a fish bowls I am not saying fish bowls are best oldest Koi lived over 200 years in an Asian pond I used to keep my male Betta in a one gallon bowl then when I took my ten gallon down I put the heater in their later on I put my male Betta carter in that ten gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #48 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

In their natural habitat they live in rice paddies which is 1000s of gallons an occupy a 3 by 3 foot territory the dry season that puts them in puddles usually kills them.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #49 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There natural habitat is rich in tannin's which look dirty.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #50 
Bombalurina

I'm going to egotistically revive this thread as I've seen a number of people mentioning friends doing bad stuff to fish, and I think it may help. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote