Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #1 
Sowman

Issues with plants

Hello All,
I'm new to plants and I'm having some issues. I started putting some live plants (not sure what type) into my 5g betta tank about a month ago. Those plants are doing fantastic. then i read that you are supposed to quareantine plants for 2 weeks so I starts to do that. I have a 5 gallon QT setup and I put 3 new plants in about 1.5 weeks ago. Problem is that they are not doing well. Several of the leafs are almost mealted and or dying. I dont know what type they are as the fish store people can never identify them. I have pictures below (you can see the spots on the leafs in one picture and the others are browning)..... what is going on?

I have a 5g non-heated QT tank. Sponge filter and I put liquid fertilizer (1ml) every other day. 23 watt blub, stays on about 8hours.
Attached Images

Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Make sure it is a plant light heat it and you may want to put some assassin snails in there in case of pond snails you do not have to have a quarantine.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Crypt melt they overcome it fast it is caused by being moved underwater very normal.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #4 
Sowman

Thanks, I've got the proper 6500k light.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

On your second picture the plant floating on top is Anacharis . I have two of these in my 5 gallon and they have new growth on them but on one the leaves are looking a little brown almost clear looking, but the top of it has a new stem growing so it must be doing fairly well so I am just keeping and eye on it and if the leaves on the bottom start looking like they are dieing I guess just pull those off. The other stem is doing great still really green and long stem of new growth that is growing over night like a weed. I am new at water plants too so just learning by reading the posts here.

I dont know what the other plants are but good luck with them wish I could be of more help.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote