Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 
colorxmexravyne

moving day!

hi everyone! i'm going to be moving back to my school's campus on Wednesday and i wanted to know what the easiest way to move my betta's tank was? when i moved out of my dorm last semester, someone told me not to drain all of the water from my tank because my beneficial bacteria would all die out or something like that (and it had just finished cycling like two weeks prior). honestly, that turned out to be a huge mess and i was hoping there would be a better way to do it this time around.

for the record, my tank is five gallons and it has one betta, a black mystery snail and some live anacharis & water wisteria.

Last edited by colorxmexravyne; 08-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Air mail
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 
colorxmexravyne

i guess it would have been beneficial for me to add that my school's only a two hour drive away, huh?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Put it in a box and for the betta see if your pet store has any spare Betta cups.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #5 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Put it in a box and for the betta see if your pet store has any spare Betta cups.
that's what i did last time. except i left about 20 percent of the water in there because someone told me to and it ended up spilling out of the tank and made the box a soggy mess. x.x needless to say, i don't have said box anymore.

and Bandit always goes in his little cup when i drive back and forth from school. i have two of them now, one for him and one for my mystery snail.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 
jeremywadejunior

I will be transporting my betta and his 5 gal tank to my school which is an 8 hour drive. I'm planning on keeping the substrate in there with a small amount (maybe just barely enough to cover the top of the substrate) of water. Also, I will stick the filter media in there. I've heard this will keep the beneficial bacteria in your tank, since a majority of them are in the filter and the substrate.
And then just keep the fish in a cup and keep the temp constant.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Good
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #8 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
I will be transporting my betta and his 5 gal tank to my school which is an 8 hour drive. I'm planning on keeping the substrate in there with a small amount (maybe just barely enough to cover the top of the substrate) of water. Also, I will stick the filter media in there. I've heard this will keep the beneficial bacteria in your tank, since a majority of them are in the filter and the substrate.
And then just keep the fish in a cup and keep the temp constant.
that's EXACTLY what i did last time. i guess i'll just do it this time, too. maybe i left too much water in it last time, who knows?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Hi there! Another NC person! What school you headed to? I'm taking my 10 gal and 5 gal with me on Thursday. It would be easiest if you could drain the amount of water you want to keep into a bucket with a lid to prevent the water messes. I plan on just leaving enough water in the 10 gal to cover my live plant roots, or just allow the plants to float. I will put my boys back in their cups, and set them inside the empty 5 gallon, but since you only have 1 you could put him in your cupholder to keep it steady. I moved my boys 2000 miles this summer by car, and only had them in 1/2 gal tanks for the trip and didn't bring any tank water with me, and all adjusted fine when we got here. Best of luck!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #10 
LittleWatty

I'll be in the same position May of next year, and I'm planning on keeping just enough water to cover the substrate. Otherwise, you could perhaps get a really really big tupperware container that can fit your filter and all of your substrate, then put it all in there so the tank itself is empty, but the tupperware won't spill the water because its capped?
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, moving