Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #91 
randy84

well said
randy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #92 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaKat View Post
I THINK YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT... why come on a forum like this and down other people who are trying to make a difference... rather keep your opinions to yourself...
Why CAN'T I come on a forum like this and share my experience. You can come here and share your ignorence?? .............. !! Free country last time I looked. And from the pm's and emails.. I'm more welcome than you.

I have never downed anybody, I'm just blunt. And get real.. you are not making a difference. It may make you feel good, but you have not changed one thing. If you allow a sick betta to die in clean warm water.. great. But if you torment it with your lack of knowledge you are cruel. Much crueler than us so called "breeders" you love to hate. That empty cup will be filled.. again and again. You want to make a difference stop supporting it. And get a few millions more to stop supporting it. Start some national outcry against the pet shop.. but for crying out loud stop trashing people that ACTUALLY know a thing or two about these fish. Forget the fish.. why don't you go stick YOUR head in some epsom salts.

The thread died down and you got to throw another stick on it. Please grow up. You pretty much showed your self to be a horses behind.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #93 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
Why dont you keep him as a home betta, like in your bedroom, since he's more special than others and you like him so much...
(at this point, I still haven't read the entire thread)
I too am a breeder. BB finished 3rd last year, I finished 15th. I know her personally, and I do agree with her as far as the sick fish. One of my males came down with columnaris and I attempted to save him. He wasn't placing at the shows so he was a wet pet. I ended up loosing my BEST male also. I lost a total of 4 (all 2 of my 1st place show males) and an up and coming juvie....I only have 3 fry from the BEST male, and 2 male from the other. BB took the time out of her schedule to help me at lease diagnose what it was and how to sterilize against it...I now use lemon lysol to sterilize the containers, Bleach to neutralize the lysol, HOT water to rinse the bleach, air dry the container, Prime to neutralize any "bleach" that may have been left over (I rinse until I no longer smell bleach).

Now to the real point of the quote. As a breeder also, the motto for me is "If I'm not breeding, why am I feeding". BB has 100s of fish if not 1000s of fish to do water changes on daily. I don't have that many, but i'm changing close to 100g a day. That is a lot of water to change. We don't do this to "make a killing", or "to get rich". Just like breeding dogs/cats/horses...if your making a profit, your doing something wrong..LOL. We do it because we truly love these fish! (now off to read the rest of the thread)

**also, I'd love to be a fish at BB's house ;) **
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #94 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
I just read an article about a young girl aged 13 who contracted a multi-resistant strain of fish tuberculosis from her aquarium - all the fish died, her aquarium needed to be destroyed, and now she is about to have her hand amputated after 5 years of searching nationwide for a cure, giving you an extreme idea what could possibly happen with a rescue. Not to mention that the amount of bettas that people have saved during this forum's history doesn't even make a scratch in PetCo or Petsmart's yearly stock. Admittedly, from time to time I do enjoy reading the rescue stories on the forum but I would never try it. Practicality wins over in my opinion.

And this is coming from someone who isn't even a breeder, and has no plans to start. I love and care for my betta Modi as if he's my own child, so don't anyone call me a heartless monster for agreeing with Basement Bettas.

P.S. On a brighter note, good luck with your next fish, MistersMom! If you get the black betta from Basement Bettas, be sure to post some photos :)
Speaking of fish TB...I used to flush a dead fish, then through my ordeal that BB helped me with (I was scared it might be TB), I found that by flushing an undiagnosed issue, you can actually spread TB. My euthanized fish now go in the flower bed!!!
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #95 
MistersMom

TB can travel from a bloddy tissue through the wind, so I'm sure if a raccoon were to eat your dead fish,and die, then all the birds that ate its carcus get TB then poop every where and the ants would go to eat it, and track it through people houses and then children get it and pass it to family members who pass it to friend who pass it on. i think you should just Ziplock them with alcohol in the baggy, and put them in several baggies, some with lysol, and thats probably the only SURE way to make sure its not passed, and thats not even actually a sure way lol... and i only get rescues with fin rot.... I'm not gonna get one with ick or velvet, or i hope not at least.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #96 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
TB can travel from a bloddy tissue through the wind, so I'm sure if a raccoon were to eat your dead fish,and die, then all the birds that ate its carcus get TB then poop every where and the ants would go to eat it, and track it through people houses and then children get it and pass it to family members who pass it to friend who pass it on. i think you should just Ziplock them with alcohol in the baggy, and put them in several baggies, some with lysol, and thats probably the only SURE way to make sure its not passed, and thats not even actually a sure way lol... and i only get rescues with fin rot.... I'm not gonna get one with ick or velvet, or i hope not at least.
You would be suprised how much it is in the industry.. this from research pathologists.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #97 
MistersMom

probably would be...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote