Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #1 
Aranelfrost666

Starting 5 gallon tank

Hello, i have a crowntail betta that i got as a gift afther doing some reading i realized that a simple fish bowl is not going to cut it so i just bought a 5 gallon starter kit it came with a sample of some aquasafe with bio extract i added it but im not sure what it is for i read topics about it but its totally frustrating and i cant understand a thing. If i decide to add live plants how ofthen do i need to change my water. And about the heater what kind do i need for my betta im sorry about all the questions i just really want to get my betta better living conditions but im not sure how to go on about it.
Aranelfrost666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 
Kenny G

To keep it simple Aquasafe will remove the chlorine or any chloramine that is in your water making it safe for immediate tank use. Bio extract is for promoting healthy bacteria that betta's need. About plants they are useful for reducing the amount of water changes you need to do. For example without live plants you might need to do 2 water changes per week at 50% and 100% with pants this amount will be less. Regarding heaters its best to surf the next and find an adjustable heater that you can set. Betta's like temperatures between 74-80 degrees. More than 80 -82 is usually used to treat sick fish. You will probably only need to use it in the fall, winter and spring depending on where you live and current temperatures. You will find good and bad reviews for all heaters so don't drive yourself crazy. Pick one you feel will fit your needs. If it doesn't fit your needs you can always return it and try another brand.

Last edited by Kenny G; 08-13-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 
Aranelfrost666

Thank you so much i live in puerto rico so its basically summer year around i wanted to get the heater cuz i sleep in AC and even though the side of the room stays warm where the tank is i didint want to risk it. How long do i need to wait until i can put my betta in the tank ?
Aranelfrost666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #4 
Kenny G

If the water is already in the tank or even if you just added water to the tank make sure you acclimate your betta into the water. If your betta came in a cup with a lit just let his cup float in the tank water for 20-30 minutes. This will give him time to adjust to the tank's water temperature without going into shock. After that release your betta and all will be well. Enjoy your new pet
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #5 
SpookyTooth

It's important when acclimatizing your betta to gradually change out its old water and replace it with new water over a 30 - 45 minute period as well as ensuring it has been adjusted to the change in temperature. Sudden water chemistry changes can be as if not more damaging than sudden temperature changes.

Good luck and well done on getting your betta such a lovely home
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote