Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #11 
prodrumernate

i feared my fish would eat shrimp.i dont ave it heavily planted.i evened it out for my minnows and betta.and will use my other plants for my second aquarium for my other female who is just in a 1 gallon hospital tank..

i may try adding 1 ghost shrimp as well.to have something different in the tank and to help with algae.the green dot algae is mostly on my live plants.some on 1 of the decor i plan to use to help cycle my other tank.and ye i have diatom.i looked it up this morning as well because it just got bad over night.its everywhere.

i read how to get rid of the brown algae.diatom...i also lowered my light.right when i put 2 florescent bulbs in my 10 gallon to replace a regular broken bulb.the alagae built up.or atleast i could really see it then..but my plants are growing great bcuz of the light.unlike before.

ill change the water a little more often to help aid in riding of the diatom.green algae not much i can do for now
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #12 
ukandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
if u do a water change it should bring the ph back backup.i didnt know about the ph level they need until i did a little more reearch and decided to check the type of water needed.i was kinda sad.i know they populate a lot and fast.but i could always give some away and or just destroy the eggs.

i think they can handle lower ph but not too much.i think they need like 8.1...something like that.
Thanks the ph is back to 7ish I'll check again in the morning. The nerite snails' eggs wont hatch in freshwater only brackish so being over run by them isnt going to happen Its the eggs that look a state stuck all over the dark decor that do my head in. Thay are a pain to remove. It says that a PH below 7 isnt for them at all so i panicked. I'm going to re home them I think...
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #13 
MSG

Most of the times I've wanted to get the otos the ones they had in the store didn't look too healthy so even for $1, I passed.

I should probably check the PH requirements for my snails. Some of the larger ones have been dying, but don't know why.

ProD... Make sure still feed a thin slice of veggie to your oto, just in case he doesn't like the algae in your tank. You want to try to fatten up any new otos. I heard they don't get enough food during shipping and a lot of them die quick in tanks due to hunger.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #14 
KukaaKatchou

Mine seemed to really like a slice of zuchini.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #15 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukandy View Post
Thanks the ph is back to 7ish I'll check again in the morning. The nerite snails' eggs wont hatch in freshwater only brackish so being over run by them isnt going to happen Its the eggs that look a state stuck all over the dark decor that do my head in. Thay are a pain to remove. It says that a PH below 7 isnt for them at all so i panicked. I'm going to re home them I think...
no problem :)

i knew some snails werent too bad on the eggs.i think its mostly mystery snails that lay outrages amount of eggs and spawn so quickly.but i wasnt sure what other types did and didnt..

what other fish do u have in the tank?u may not have to rehome them.just up the ph a little..though some finish may go in a panic.but doing it over time should be fine.kinda like having an ammonia spike.the fih would stress and die.but if its over time they will be fine.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #16 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Most of the times I've wanted to get the otos the ones they had in the store didn't look too healthy so even for $1, I passed.

I should probably check the PH requirements for my snails. Some of the larger ones have been dying, but don't know why.

ProD... Make sure still feed a thin slice of veggie to your oto, just in case he doesn't like the algae in your tank. You want to try to fatten up any new otos. I heard they don't get enough food during shipping and a lot of them die quick in tanks due to hunger.
mine is pretty small.i just have 1 for now.im told they need to be with others.but now really sure.i have very low light in my tank rite now to help control the algae and allow the fish to adjust.but not sure if i should up the light again tomorrow or leave it low to help kill off algae..

i just so happen to do last minute research on snails and then i seen the ph and was like never mind.my other fish can handle it.i just dont wana have to worry bout keeping it at 8 or so though my water is 7.6ph out the faucet.so im very close..

im glad u told me about fattening him up.i unfortunately dont have any zucchini and not sure when i can get any.my tep mom is filipina o she uses a lot of vegie to cook.not sure what ele to feed my oto.i do have algae wafers.but read they normally ignore it.though i have tons of algae.i keep checking on him about every 30 minutes..

any alternatives to what i can feed him?i surly dont want him to die.he was 2 dollars at my LPS.even then no matter the price i still dont want any of my fish to die.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #17 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KukaaKatchou View Post
Mine seemed to really like a slice of zuchini.
i read thats the number 1 thing to feed them.to boil it for like 4 minutes and then let it cool down.correct me on the boiling time if im wrong.i didnt pay much attention to the time as i wasnt that interested in the zucchini at first.

as i told MSG..i surly dont want him to die.so ill keep watch.anything else they will eat other than zucchini and algae?other vegie i could give until i can get some zucchini?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #18 
MSG

Any veggies will do, take a picture of the veggies that you have in the fridge or the stuff you mom cooks with. I can tell you once I see the photos. I'm familiar with most of those veggies.

I don't boil them that long. I slice them paper thin, quickly dip them in boiling water. I don't leave them in hot water for more than 10 seconds because you kill the nutrients the longer you boil it

That's why I slice them paper thin. I just use a basic kitchen knife.

When I'm eating, the last thing I'm thinking of is preparing a portion for the fish. But that was before and I lost a lot of algae fish like that.

Last edited by MSG; 08-14-2012 at 09:51 PM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #19 
prodrumernate

i acutally went to the tore and got a zucchini.my dad wanted me to run up there and get something for u to drink.while i was at it.i grabbed a zucchini..

all i need to do is slice them thin.dip them in boiling water for about 10 seconds and im fine am i correct?

and i agree with the not leaving in too long.that would get out most of the nutrient.that i dont want to do.

any pictures of what a healthy belly looks like so i know when to not over feed it zucchini?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #20 
prodrumernate

a little info i fount online,its about mystery snails but im sure it applies to other snails as well.may not be much of a difference...

http://www.squidoo.com/Mystery_Snails

some info is if the ph is higher than 7 ur fine.mines at about 7.6...maybe a little higher since my scale doesnt go above 7.6...

i also read that to up ur ph
"If you are having trouble keeping your PH high enough, you can add 1tsp of baking soda per 10 gallons with every water change. Just be sure the fish in your tank will tolerate the higher PH before you try this."

theres a lot more info on the link i posted.good info.im going to bookmark it myself.id like a snail :)