Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #7011 
mursey
Member
 
mursey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
@Mikey

Well the basics would be...

-At least a 2.5 gallon tank (the bigger the better)
-A heater
-Water change schedule to fit your tank's size.
For a 7 liter tank, you could probably do 3 water changes per week- 2 50% changes and 1 100% change until you upgrade.

2.5 to 5 gal tank- 2 water changes per week... 1 50%, 1 100%

I have a question - I have one 2.5 gallon tank (my other betta tanks are bigger but this guy is tiny with a swim bladder problem so he doesn't seem to want a huge tank anyway). I don't do quite as many water changes as you mentioned, but only because I test the ammonia and it usually is still super low. (not over .02)

Is that because I have a filter with biological media added and I add Colony or other brands of beneficial bacteria? Or is it because maybe when I keep adding water to replace the evaporated water, it is enough? I know people say it's hard to cycle such a small tank but could I have successfully cycled it?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #7012 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
I have a question - I have one 2.5 gallon tank (my other betta tanks are bigger but this guy is tiny with a swim bladder problem so he doesn't seem to want a huge tank anyway). I don't do quite as many water changes as you mentioned, but only because I test the ammonia and it usually is still super low. (not over .02)

Is that because I have a filter with biological media added and I add Colony or other brands of beneficial bacteria? Or is it because maybe when I keep adding water to replace the evaporated water, it is enough? I know people say it's hard to cycle such a small tank but could I have successfully cycled it?
You still want to do a weekly water change to maintain good water quality.
What do you mean "brands" of beneficial bacteria? The cycling products you can buy don't cycle the tank, they help jump start it.

If you are detecting any ammonia, your tank isn't cycled. Cycled tank with have 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and some nitrate.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #7013 
deso
Member
 
deso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, France
Tank update! New driftwood, flame moss carpet, hydrocotyle tripartita in the back.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #7014 
mursey
Member
 
mursey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Deso, I think that is beautiful. Your betta really shines in there too.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #7015 
deso
Member
 
deso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Paris, France
Thanks much mursey! For once he decided to pose perfectly for the photo. He's usually swimming too quickly for the camera to capture and ends up as a blurry black-and-red blob.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #7016 
mursey
Member
 
mursey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
You still want to do a weekly water change to maintain good water quality.
What do you mean "brands" of beneficial bacteria? The cycling products you can buy don't cycle the tank, they help jump start it.

If you are detecting any ammonia, your tank isn't cycled. Cycled tank with have 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and some nitrate.
By brands I meant that currently I have "Colony" but I had previously bought a beneficial bacteria supplement by another name, I just can't remember it.

I didn't know that about the ammonia, thanks for that info. It's hard for me to understand how you can tell that there is no ammonia at all though- being that the test kits I was told to get are color charts and colors are a bit subjective. I have the Freshwater Master Test Kit and I still keep the suction cup ammonia readers just for an extra "alert" since I bought them before people told me to get the MAster test kit.

I pretty much change water if anything isn't the first color of my ammonia charts. (really light yellow). I understand people here said that the master tst kits are a good value but honestly I am not so sure since it takes forever to test little tubes of water from my 6 aquariums for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites. Ph. . . forget it. Then we're adding 5 test tubes of water testing per tank, because we have super high ph and I usually need to do the high ph test too. So 3 times 6 is 18 freaking test tubes of different methods of shaking up chemicals or not shaking them but just dropping them in, etc . .. I can't imagine this is how people take care of their multiple bettas or you couldn't have a job.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #7017 
mursey
Member
 
mursey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by deso View Post
Thanks much mursey! For once he decided to pose perfectly for the photo. He's usually swimming too quickly for the camera to capture and ends up as a blurry black-and-red blob.
Ha! I totally understand. I guess he decided to be "majestic" for a moment. :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #7018 
cjayBetta
Member
 
cjayBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NB, Canada
Newest tank

cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #7019 
teeneythebetta
Member
 
teeneythebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
By brands I meant that currently I have "Colony" but I had previously bought a beneficial bacteria supplement by another name, I just can't remember it.

I didn't know that about the ammonia, thanks for that info. It's hard for me to understand how you can tell that there is no ammonia at all though- being that the test kits I was told to get are color charts and colors are a bit subjective. I have the Freshwater Master Test Kit and I still keep the suction cup ammonia readers just for an extra "alert" since I bought them before people told me to get the MAster test kit.

I pretty much change water if anything isn't the first color of my ammonia charts. (really light yellow). I understand people here said that the master tst kits are a good value but honestly I am not so sure since it takes forever to test little tubes of water from my 6 aquariums for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites. Ph. . . forget it. Then we're adding 5 test tubes of water testing per tank, because we have super high ph and I usually need to do the high ph test too. So 3 times 6 is 18 freaking test tubes of different methods of shaking up chemicals or not shaking them but just dropping them in, etc . .. I can't imagine this is how people take care of their multiple bettas or you couldn't have a job.
I know it seems like a burden, but I use the API master liquid kit and it works perfectly for me. My tank is cycled and it clearly shows 0 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, and since my tank is very understocked, 5 ppm nitrate.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #7020 
randy84
New Member
 
randy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Webb City Missouri
split tank

one divider is homemade not pretty but it works great. It cost around 7.00 and i have enough materials to make many more compared to the store bought divider that cost 15.00
Attached Images
 
randy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium, arteries, arteriestagiscreepnmeout, bettathanyou, do the harlem shake!!!, don'tmindmejustatag, dyingoflaughteroverhere, glory werz here!:b, ihavetoomanybettas, lols, macgyver was here, mochi was here, omgwecanedittags?, tank

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new 10 gallon home for my 2 rescued bettas<3 Wed Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 15 11-18-2010 06:46 PM
New home for my boys (pics) marshall2288 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 11 05-30-2009 10:49 PM
Maybe some of Vegans rescue bettas home... Livelifelaughlove Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 04-03-2009 05:30 PM
Where did the thread go for Betta tank/home pics? anastasiavixen Betta Pictures 3 04-02-2009 04:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.